Author Topic: WLTP engine changes.... not great. Loss of MPI  (Read 8431 times)

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
Re: WLTP engine changes.... not great. Loss of MPI
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2019, 15:25 »
Thanks, I hadn't fully read the VWroc since early Jan, so I'm up to speed now, I agree, seems like a storm in a tea cup.

Just curious what the overall consensus is on this, if for instance buying a 1-2 year old GTi or ordering a brand new one, is loss of MPI really a deal breaker?

How much are you going to use it and for how long? I'd sooner take my chances with a new car than a secondhand one - who knows what problems you are buying - why take the risk if you don't have to?

If you are thinking resale, most people won't know the difference. Its going to make bugger all resale value drop.

Meh petrolheads storm in a teacup.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 01 February 2019, 14:03 »
Just had confirmation via the Polo forum that MPI on the Polo GTI's 2.0TSI engine has retained MPI after becoming WLTP compliant with GPF (post October build). Pictures seen that show the expected MPI specific components are still there. Makes it even stranger that Golf GTI has lost it and the Polo didn't. I wonder if any other VAGs using that engine have lost MPI?

« Last Edit: 01 February 2019, 14:05 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 01 February 2019, 19:09 »
I wonder if the wrong engines have been put in UK golfs?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 01 February 2019, 19:22 »

A golf is heavier than a polo... Heavier is more polluting. I'd guess the polo doesn't have the gpf... In the same way as previously the oil burning passat had adblue but the golf didn't (does now...)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 01 February 2019, 21:01 »
Pretty sure the polo has a GPF.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 01 February 2019, 21:03 »

A golf is heavier than a polo... Heavier is more polluting. I'd guess the polo doesn't have the gpf... In the same way as previously the oil burning passat had adblue but the golf didn't (does now...)

Not sure about all of the Polo range, but the WLTP compliant Polo GTI/GTI+ with a 200ps version of VW’s 2.0 litre EA888 engine does have a gpf, as well as retaining dual injection / MPI following WLTP certification.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 02 February 2019, 09:10 »

The Golf isn't that much heavier than the Polo - the Polo GTI+ is about 56kg lighter than the new GTI Performance. My pre WLTP Polo GTI + doesn't have a GPF, the WLTP compliant one that started building in November does.

The Polo is marginally smaller than the Golf now ,- same interior size, shorter bonnet (Most of the difference) and slightly less deep boot.

There really isn't much in it at all.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 02 February 2019, 10:21 »
I can't figure out why they'd have two versions of basically the same engine - one DI only, the other port/DI. Doesn't make sense.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #28 on: 04 February 2019, 09:35 »

The Golf isn't that much heavier than the Polo - the Polo GTI+ is about 56kg lighter than the new GTI Performance. My pre WLTP Polo GTI + doesn't have a GPF, the WLTP compliant one that started building in November does.

The Polo is marginally smaller than the Golf now ,- same interior size, shorter bonnet (Most of the difference) and slightly less deep boot.

There really isn't much in it at all.

56kg can make a lot of difference, plus its not just weight now WLTP is "real world" testing.

I've no idea what their aim is either for WLTP figures, but its more than just "we want a Golf to be xyz g/km to make the road tax figure right" its more to do with their attempts to have a lower fleet CO2 figure.... If they sell more Golfs than Polos (and they do by a massive amount), they will need to get the figures down on a Golf far more than a Polo or an UP!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC