Author Topic: Due To Worst Yeaer Of My Life, Unable To Get Car To 2nd Year Service  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
As some of you guys may know, I have a Golf R and I have now just come up to my 2nd year service.  However due to 2018 being the worst year of my life I am currently unable to go to my local dealer to get the service carried out at the moment. 

The reason for this is my father died unexpectedly in his sleep in May this year and my wife and I were the first on the scene to attend to him and try to give him rolled over on to his back and give him CPR.  Due to the advisor on 999 call telling my mother to get him off the bed, and my father being too heavy for my mother to do this, he ended up on the floor face down  in a small area of his bedroom. I struggled to get him on his back prior to giving him CPR and caused myself an injury.  However long story short, I ended up giving myself a pain in my side, which developed in to Sciatica in my left leg first then both legs at this present time.  It is thought that I have caused my L5 - S1 Disc to bulge/rupture and hit/irritate my L5 nerve which is causing the sciatica. It is due to the cronic pain I have had for 4 months since my fathers death to this present day (which is a great memory of my father) that I am unable to drive any real distance until I have recovered from the pain I am in (which over time is still getting worse, not better?). 

Anyway my Golf is now due it's 2nd year service and I am unable to take it to the dealer.  The question I want to ask those who might know on this forum, is, does the 2 year service plan have a validity date for when you have to use it by, before it becomes invalid? 
« Last Edit: 28 September 2018, 15:32 by Brenbo »

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Most dealers offer a collection and return service.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
The thing is that I live about 40+ miles form the dealer and going their past record when i have taken my car in for work to be done, I am unsure if I could trust them to look after my car with collection and return. 

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Sorry for your loss dude, and the problems following it, if you was near me I’d take it in for you and then bring it back,
Sorry I can’t help on the service plan tho

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Terms and conditions here - http://www.vwfsaftersales.co.uk/ourplans/under-1-year/ They don't mention a time limitation but do state servicing must be as per schedule so I'd imagine there would be a limit to how late you can book it. Might be best to give the dealer a call or VFS. How long are you thinking, days, weeks, months?

Sorry to hear of your problems, hope you feel better soon.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Cheers for the kind words guys. My father was like a brother as well as a father to me.  It will be a great loss and the feeling of drugs, grief and cronic pain is so awesome I never want to experience it again. 

I am hopefully going to be having an MRI scan within the next 7 to 10 days.  Then I will know what it is and can workout the plan of action to getting fighting fit again.  I was due the service about a week ago.  But was going to wait for the MRI scan first then once I know what I am dealing with and whether I have to wait for the pain to recover naturally or via surgery I was going to call the dealer then and see about the service and my options of having it done. 

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
I'm going through the same issue with my back, disc L1 and L2 have shrunk, bulging and dehydrated. I'm 4 month in and only just started driving again full time. They've recommended I have physio.

Maybe drop VW an email or find a local garage to carry out the work. As long as the garage uses genuine parts and everything is documented you won't invalidate warranty. Google 'Block Exemption Regulation'

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Have just contacted VW Exeter (my local dealer).  They say that as I am 40 miles away i cannot have my car collected, which is not a surprise to me with the distance.  However they allow 1000 miles or a month extra past the specified 12000 miles/12 month timescale date and due to the low mileage on my car and my situation I will be OK to leave it up to the end of this month to take it up to the service.  If I am OK to drive it that is.  Lets hope the MRI shows a result I can sort out quickly as the not knowing if I will recover is frustrating... especially since I have Golf R in my drive and I am unable to drive it any distance without causing pain.

Also I always said my father was a pain in the butt, however I didn't expect this comment to become literal  :sad:

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Cheers for the info Ryan90GTI... I guess I could say I feel your pain  :laugh:

Hope you recover from the pain soon mate.  My doctor and osteopath have recommended light walking, swimming etc,. But where a month ago it helped to relieve some pain it now causes it to be worse and both legs have cramped up solid.  I also feel a lot of constant pain on my Coccyx and am wondering if I have actually caused damage to this area rather than my L5 - S1 disc, guess the MRI will show all.

Heres to getting back in to our rides again and enjoying them pain free again one day.   
« Last Edit: 28 September 2018, 16:31 by Brenbo »

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
I'm a HGV driver and it's quite a common problem for us. Loads of people recommended me to see a chiropractor but I never went to see one. It took about 12-16 weeks for the pain to start to ease and now I'm not so bad, I'm back driving again but I'm very wary of how I get in and out of the truck etc.

It doesn't surprise me VW won't do anything, their customer service is truly awful. Find yourself a decent independent garage and don't bother giving VW anymore money.