Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 244842 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #110 on: 20 January 2019, 21:55 »
Yep. You can see it compared to the standard tips.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #111 on: 21 January 2019, 17:23 »
First post so go easy  :smiley:

I have been looking at moving from a BMW m135i to a Golf.  I was considering the R but have stumbled across the TCR.  I prefer the look over the GTI to the R to be honest but quite liked the idea of being able to get the (or even some) power down in anything other than dry conditions. 

Up until the TCR I was thinking the GTI may have been a step to far down in power (haven't driven one yet), so the TCR may tick the box on that side.

Just been reading that in NL it is being limited to 75 units and wondering if it will be limited in the same way over here...

I really like the FlashRed interior!

Just wondering how people have found the diff on the GTI PP and why they chose the PP over the R.  Am I missing anything that should change my mind - would PP owners have gone with the TCR over the R if it was around at the time (I am guessing they will be quite closely priced)?

One last question, should I expect to see a run out R model in the same thinking as the TCR?

Sorry for derailing the thread somewhat - I'm sure the post will be moved if needs be :)
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #112 on: 21 January 2019, 17:52 »
I don't think VW have ever made a runout of the R series? I think you've already seen the last of the "free" options too as there won't be another MY before the Mk7 comes to an end.

The TCR will almost certainly be limited, but quite what that limit will be for the UK - maybe 500 units?

Better rubber on the GTI will make a load of difference to being able to put the power down - the OEM tyres (well UK ones anyway....) suck balls. Obviously its still a very powerful FWD car and that does limit traction at some point. I don't feel it so limiting as to make it unusable though.

The TCR will probably be £34,000 in the UK... without the £3000 extra pack (whatever its called)... and probably not much in the way of a discount knocking around. That makes it something like about £10,000 more than a GTI Performance...

You are definitely paying a premium for a "special" edition over a GTI-P or R.... other than bragging rights, I'm not sure you're getting much. 
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #113 on: 21 January 2019, 18:44 »
The problem is that nobody actually knows anything. There was an interesting twitter conversation between volkswizard and Listers. Listers think it’s 3 dr only. This has been based on the fact that they’ve not seen 5 dr photos. There are these if you look.

The main point is price. I agree with you Fred that if it’s so much more than a gti and R it makes no sense. Not for me anyway.

As for limited numbers, I’m sure that Vw said it wouldn’t be limited way back in May and at the gti coming home event.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #114 on: 21 January 2019, 18:53 »
The problem is that nobody actually knows anything. There was an interesting twitter conversation between volkswizard and Listers. Listers think it’s 3 dr only. This has been based on the fact that they’ve not seen 5 dr photos. There are these if you look.

The main point is price. I agree with you Fred that if it’s so much more than a gti and R it makes no sense. Not for me anyway.

As for limited numbers, I’m sure that Vw said it wouldn’t be limited way back in May and at the gti coming home event.

This article in Autocar also suggests production volumes won’t be limited;
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/286bhp-volkswagen-golf-gti-tcr-now-official

The TCR that Autocar used for their recent review (18th Jan) was a five door version;
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf-gti-tcr/first-drives/volkswagen-golf-gti-tcr-2019-review
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #115 on: 21 January 2019, 19:22 »
43 minute review here.

https://youtu.be/HgO9gTVecKw

No akropovic exhaust being offered according to the video.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2019, 19:52 by king monkey »

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #116 on: 21 January 2019, 19:53 »
The 75 limited run is for NL and on the VW site: https://www.volkswagen.nl/nieuws/volkswagen-prijst-golf-gti-tcr/

Nothing posted for the UK yet though.

The DE site also has 3 door as standard with 5 door one of the options you can configure.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #117 on: 21 January 2019, 21:50 »
43 minute review here.

https://youtu.be/HgO9gTVecKw

No akropovic exhaust being offered according to the video.

Yeah, sounds like its been dropped as it was mentioned on all the previous news articles but nowhere to be seen on the German configurator either. He seems quite clued up in the video.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #118 on: 22 January 2019, 21:17 »
I spoke to my dealer today. I really despair. Hadn't heard about the car.

Rang VW UK and spoke to customer services in despair. Just as bad.

Expect further information in the next 1-2 months. 

Both phone calls best represented by this:

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #119 on: 22 January 2019, 21:33 »
I’m now sick of waiting. It’s typical Vw uk. Not a clue.