Author Topic: GTD rear brake pads  (Read 6977 times)

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
GTD rear brake pads
« on: 17 July 2018, 06:37 »
Was just having a look over the car yesterday & noticed my rear pass are quite low, do the rear pads have a sensor fitted to trip the light on the dash to indicate they’re worn?? Car is still on original factory pads.

Was going to go with Pagid pads from ECP, would they be good pads??

What’s a dealer likely to charge to fit pads?? Just asking as car is in the dealers today for warranty work & might ask them to do the work if they’re reasonably priced
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Still pining for:2009 BMW 330i M Sport Convertible

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: GTD rear brake pads
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2018, 07:02 »
Some dealers will price match local prices so worth asking.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2018, 09:35 »
If you have ODBeleven or VagCom you can wind back the auto hand brake servos and do it yourself in 15 minutes a side, providing you have the space and a few tools.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline naxcars

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2018, 09:50 »
Don't think you'll have much change from £200 - the labour cost are more for the rears because of the electronic brake.
2014 Golf GTI Performance Pack: Nav & Rear Parking Camera, DTUK FRS+

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2018, 10:26 »
VW fixed price servicing, rear pads up to 2L, excludes GTI but no mention of the GTD, £129 - http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/fixed-price-servicing?&mkwid=s4wthxWU0_pcrid_201233201658_pkw_vw%20fixed%20price%20servicing_pmt_e_pdv_t_slid__pgrid_39061886370_ptaid_aud-384726207817:kwd-303078611029_&tc=sem-_[Range]_[All]_[None]_[Exact]_[EN]_[Eval]_[Servicing]_[Core]-UK-google-Core_[Exact]-e-vw%20fixed%20price%20servicing&kw=vw%20fixed%20price%20servicing&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImoegtuel3AIVFTwbCh0WMA3eEAAYASAAEgKRv_D_BwE&mkwid=s4wthxWU0_201233201658_vw%20fixed%20price%20servicing_e_t&mtid=vdvv2y1xd0&slid=&product_id=
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2018, 10:43 »
I’d have got them to do it at that price but it’s for cars 3 years & over unfortunately, mines 2016.
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2018, 10:48 »
I’ve just phoned the dealer to ask & they say £289 for pads & discs, I said I only want pads replaced & was told they recommend discs are replaced at the same time as they’ll wear uneven otherwise, any truth in that or are they just trying it??

I didn’t tell them my name & they didn’t ask what car it was, just threw the price at me lol

I’ve had a quote from micheldever tyres for £69 for pads, just need to find out what brand pads they use.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2018, 11:59 »
I’d have got them to do it at that price but it’s for cars 3 years & over unfortunately, mines 2016.

Ahh, bu@@er.

...was told they recommend discs are replaced at the same time as they’ll wear uneven otherwise...

I’ve had a quote from micheldever tyres for £69 for pads, just need to find out what brand pads they use.

I've never heard that before, I've rarely ever had to replace discs but plenty of pads and can't say it has ever been an issue. If that was the case then why would VW give pads only replacement prices? Sounds like salesmanship to me. Plus they hadn't even seen your car when they quoted. If you trust the other garage and are happy with the brand of pads they will use (if not, perhaps they will quote to fit what you supply?) I'd go with them, at £69 that seems very good.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2018, 12:41 »
Without looking at the discs, I couldn't say for certain, but I doubt the discs need changing. Unless there's absolutely masses of changes in the thickness of the discs and they are above the minimum thickness, can't see any issues with just changing the pads.

On the flipside, with the motor manufacturers quest for longer service intervals, the ratio of pad changes to disc changes has definitely shifted in more recent years. It used to be that pads were soft and discs were hard and the discs rarely needed changing, whereas nowadays it's more likely the discs would need changing too.

Either way, there's no way a decent garage could say that you need your discs changing without even looking at them. That's simply trying to wring as much cash out of you as they can.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2018, 16:30 »
Have a look around on here and you will find that really bad rear pad and disc wear is a feature of Mk 7 GTD and GTI. Opinion on here suggests something to do with cruise control. Whatever, both my pads and discs are now marginal, after just 20K miles. I don’t use the brakes hard and I don’t use cruise that often, so I really am not pleased. I’ve replaced front pads before, but rarely front discs and never rears. The discs are scored badly and unevenly. Not good enough from VW!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.