Author Topic: Is my clutch on the way out after 1700 miles?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Crezzer

• Not said much yet
Is my clutch on the way out after 1700 miles?
« on: 16 April 2018, 07:23 »
Ive had my 7.5 GTI 230 manual from new around 2.5 months and have covered 1700 miles. For the last 300 miles or so the clutch pedal has had quite a bad gratting sensation when you press the pedal down. Its not smooth at all and not something i have experianced in any other car in the past.

Its at its worst in the last inch of pedal travel which is when im guessing the clutch plate is fully engaged? The best way i can describe it is its like pressing the pedal against a cheese gratter.

I ran the car in properly and have not been hard on it at all. Mainly normal driving with the occassional blast.

Anyone else experienced this? I have read the manual clutches can be a weak spot but hoping mines not on the way out after 1700 miles.

Thanks

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
Re: Is my clutch on the way out after 1700 miles?
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2018, 07:44 »
I would be taking it back to the dealers to get it checked and complaining bitterly, and  if it is the clutch then its not fit for purpose and should be replaced foc .

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2018, 08:13 »
Take it back to the dealer to get it investigated and sorted.

Although clutch issues are considered to be the result of wear and tear as they can be influenced by driving style, you shouldn’t have wear and tear issues within the short period of time you’ve had the car. In any event, the clutch is covered under the new car warranty for the first 6 months or 6,500 miles whichever is the sooner, so yours is well within both the time and mileage limits.

Warranty t&c’s at the link below;

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/new-car/terms-and-conditions
« Last Edit: 16 April 2018, 08:30 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2018, 08:56 »
Sounds like the clutch release bearing (or that’s what it felt like in my old camper)

Offline Crezzer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2018, 10:22 »
Thanks for the advice chaps. To make things worse i also need to get a replacement windscreen following a stone hitting me at the weekend resulting in a massive crack. Ive not had the best of starts to my GTI ownership.

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2018, 10:41 »
Sounds like the clutch release bearing (or that’s what it felt like in my old camper)

I'd agree with that 👍🏻

May possibly be a dual mass flywheel issue too but I'd expect there to be a vibration from the engine as well if that was faulty.

Either way, the box has to come out. I'd ring VW assist and get a patrol out to check it out and arrange a recovery to your dealer and a hire car.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2018, 16:56 »

I'd agree with that 👍🏻

May possibly be a dual mass flywheel issue too but I'd expect there to be a vibration from the engine as well if that was faulty.

Either way, the box has to come out. I'd ring VW assist and get a patrol out to check it out and arrange a recovery to your dealer and a hire car.
Yes, agreed on those possibilities. Either way it’s not a wear problem that you could have caused, so warranty cover should not be an issue.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2018, 18:36 »
If it’s anything like my old van it was just a retaking clip that just needed popping back on, but that involved popping out the engine, but on that it’s just 4 bolts, about 6 wires, accelerator cable and a fuel line, and would take about a hour, guess it’s a tad harder nowadays ha ha

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2018, 10:47 »

Also called the Thrust Bearing. This can wear with symptoms similar to what is described in this thread. Shouldn't have failed so early though.