Author Topic: MK7 Golf - XDS or XDS+  (Read 4779 times)

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
MK7 Golf - XDS or XDS+
« on: 15 April 2018, 13:01 »
I have searched around and can't find the info - do all MK7 Golf models come with XDS+ (XDSPlus) electronic differential lock rather than XDS? I believe XDS+ was introduced as standard for all MK7 Golf models but can't seem to find any information to confirm it. As far as I can see, XDS+ brakes the inside rear wheel while cornering in addition to the inside front wheel whereas the previous version, XDS, only applied braking force to the inside front wheel while cornering.

I have a MK7 Golf GTD and the PR code list I have shows 1Y3 - Differential Lock (XDS). It does not say XDS+ and there doesn't seem to be a separate PR code for XDS+ so I am a bit confused...

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
Re: MK7 Golf - XDS or XDS+
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2018, 16:05 »
Nobody knows anything about this?

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2018, 17:20 »
I was under the impression that all gti/gtd mk7 golfs came with XDS+, although I never knew the difference between the + and the regular XDS.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2018, 14:52 »
Thanks for the reply.

On further investigation the current info on the V.W. U.K. site for example says XDS but does not mention XDS+ and mentions providing pressure on the inside wheel but not wheels. Hmmm...
I wonder why V.W. make it so difficult to confirm or even find any real information on things like this? Surely if their cars have an improved version of a system that they have used before they would want customers to know this, not be searching around for the information, as is the case here. Very odd I think.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2018, 16:12 »
The best known is the XDS system, or its more advanced XDS + variant. Both of these systems work only if you are driving a turn under the gas. Their principle is also the same, both braking the inner wheel in the curve, bringing more driving force to the outer wheel with better grip.

But the fundamental difference is in action. To feel the effects of conventional XDS, tires have a relatively large shear coefficient. This is only possible on dry roads with good tires. If you drive with such a car under the gas on a wet road, the car will behave just as if the XDS did not have - at least with the expected understeer.

A more advanced XDS system with the addition of "plus" is much more enjoyable in terms of driving, as it can handle the lower shear coefficient between the tire and the road surface. It is therefore much more sensitive and therefore reduces the understeer of the vehicle in the curve even if the road is wet. With XDS +, generally speaking, wet passing will be faster than with conventional XDS.

And.... looking around, XDS Plus is standard on all Mk7 Golfs, not just performance ones, from 2015 onwards...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2018, 11:51 »
Thanks for the info.

So in my household we have a MY14 MK7 Golf GTD and a MY14 MK7 Golf 1.2 TSI.
So would I be correct in saying that the MK7 Golf GTD has XDS+ as it and the MK7 Golf GTI (but not the MK7 GTI PP as it has the VAQ Electronic LSD and the R being 4motion?) has it and the MK7 Golf 1.2 TSI does not have XDS+ as it is pre 2015 model year but does have XDS?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2018, 12:16 »
From what I found, yes.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2018, 18:16 »
PP gti's also have xds+ as it brakes the inside rear wheel.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2018, 18:27 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2018, 13:07 »
From what I found, yes.

PP gti's also have xds+ as it brakes the inside rear wheel.

Very good. Thanks for the replies and info.