Author Topic: Rear Brakes  (Read 6745 times)

Offline CS#433

• Not said much yet
Re: Rear Brakes
« Reply #20 on: 17 April 2018, 22:03 »
My clubsport with 7.5k and just over a year old has the same issue and now when I brake I can feel a shudder like they are warped. Shocking that vw are fitting such rubbish parts and not replacing under warranty. I assume the rears on the CS are the same size as GTI as I’ll need to get some new ones fitted.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 17 April 2018, 23:34 »
Thing is, if you get VW to replace the brakes either paid for or under warranty, presumably they'll fit the same old sh!te. Is there a non-oem better alternative? Any recommendations? Although for me so far there doesn't appear to be an issue.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 18 April 2018, 08:56 »
I'm not convinced any alternatives would make much difference, given the discussion here about the causation.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #23 on: 18 April 2018, 16:09 »
Just checked my rear discs, look OK to me for 8K miles...

Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #24 on: 18 April 2018, 20:28 »
Not really rusty but shows grooves already. At least pads are still using full disc surface though.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 18 April 2018, 20:46 »
Replacement OEM brake discs tend to do better than factory fitted ones. The replacement parts need to have a longer shelf life, so are often painted with a more durable finish. Even the friction surface is painted. This gets worn off in minutes of driving once fitted.

The factory fitted stuff doesn't need a shelf life as it's fitted straight away. However with cars sat around in all weathers and when in transit, the unprotected surfaces suffer.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Catnapper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 15 July 2020, 10:08 »
Thread revival - Sorry
Just had 3 year service & MOT, advisories on rear discs only, pads are fine. I did notice after a year discs were scoring but after research found this was due to to crap OEM parts.
I told them I've never had this problem before, only with electronic handbrake their reply, all cars are different to which I said " not with my previous Golf which were replaced @50k and 7years.
Whilst waiting had a liitle look at demonstrators, not even a GTI and they all showed signs of scoring after probably pitiful miles.
£389 Stealer wants for replacement - Don't think so.
Euro Car parts & Brembos here we come me thinks unless someone has a better option
MK7.5 Indium Grey 19" Brescia Alloys

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #27 on: 15 July 2020, 10:49 »
I got a quote from my local garage for brembo rears and it worked out the same price as the main dealer was quoting.... Just saying. I think the wear won't be much different either, it's probably a feature...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Catnapper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 15 July 2020, 12:35 »
I got a quote from my local garage for brembo rears and it worked out the same price as the main dealer was quoting.... Just saying. I think the wear won't be much different either, it's probably a feature...

Looking to get OBD/Carista and do it myself. Mines not a PP so don't thinks discs are as expensive. More research required!!
MK7.5 Indium Grey 19" Brescia Alloys

Offline Shooey

• Just got here
« Reply #29 on: 15 July 2020, 23:48 »
Thread revival - Sorry
Just had 3 year service & MOT, advisories on rear discs only, pads are fine. I did notice after a year discs were scoring but after research found this was due to to crap OEM parts.
I told them I've never had this problem before, only with electronic handbrake their reply, all cars are different to which I said " not with my previous Golf which were replaced @50k and 7years.
Whilst waiting had a liitle look at demonstrators, not even a GTI and they all showed signs of scoring after probably pitiful miles.
£389 Stealer wants for replacement - Don't think so.
Euro Car parts & Brembos here we come me thinks unless someone has a better option

My 67 plate Performance required new brakes & pads at its 12K miles service (March 2020), pads were 90% worn, discs corroded (they didn’t look great for a few thousand miles before that), the discs were scored similar to other photos posted here and this apparently causes excess pad wear, the dealer had no interest in goodwill, total quote for replacement £429. I waited a few weeks before replacement and I tried the ECP Fit it For Me Service after ordering Brembos, but after two attempts the system failed to work (it may be due to lockdown - ECP cancelled the order & refunded me) the price was £230 fitted.

In the end I had the Brembos fitted at Halfords on a next day service for £300, I’m 1000 miles in now, they seem fine & the disc hub? itself is painted so looks much better than factory. The car has sat around the last two months only doing about 100 miles/week but what I have noticed is far less corrosion on the disc compared to the fronts during wet weather or when standing after washing.

I would never have considered Halfords for the Brembos but in fairness they did a great job, took 2hrs, no fuss at all.