Author Topic: Replacing Door Card Interior Trim/Inserts  (Read 4666 times)

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
Replacing Door Card Interior Trim/Inserts
« on: 05 February 2018, 10:55 »
Hi all,

Sorry for the barrage of questions lately, I am only now getting around to getting my Mk4 back on the road and there has been a fair amount to do.

Does anyone have any ideas on how the trim section of the door card (the part in the photo below) is attached to the door card itself?

I am trying to remove the existing trim from my door cards and replace it with new leather trim. The existing trim seems to have been attached with hot glue or something so it's easy to remove, but I am not sure how to attach the new trim to it.

Any help appreciated.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2018, 17:57 by CitizenKane »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Replacing Door Card Interior Trim
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2018, 18:52 »
It would have been easier to swap the full door card over but if you've removed that bit try gorilla glue  :smiley:

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2018, 22:21 »
Where did you get the replacement inserts? I recall seeing them on ebay a few years back, but couldn't find them last time I looked.
There was a "how-to" on here I think ;)

Build thread clicky

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2018, 10:38 »
It would have been easier to swap the full door card over

For sure. I got them as part of a full leather interior from a Bora, so while the front door cards were a straight swap, unfortunately the rear door cards don't fit into the Golf so I have to replace the inserts separately.

I'll try some gorilla glue. To be honest I can't imagine I'd need something particularly heavy duty for this, seeing as the door handle goes through the insert before it screws into the door card which presumably will hold it in place to some degree even without any other adhesive?
« Last Edit: 06 February 2018, 10:41 by CitizenKane »

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2018, 10:40 »
Where did you get the replacement inserts? I recall seeing them on ebay a few years back, but couldn't find them last time I looked.
There was a "how-to" on here I think ;)

See above! I got them as part of a full interior set, I've never seen the inserts for sale individually!

I'll see if I can dig out the how-to.

Thanks