Author Topic: Buying a MK6 GTI - Timing Chain Tensioner Question  (Read 3371 times)

Offline hopkins1001

• Just got here
Buying a MK6 GTI - Timing Chain Tensioner Question
« on: 24 January 2018, 10:05 »
Hi,

I've been after a Golf GTI for a while and have just put a deposit down on a 2010 MK6 GTI with 68,000 miles, I'm supposed to be completing the sale this Saturday so have been reading through common faults and things to look out for and have come across the the timing chain tensioner fault,

I will check through the paperwork and service history to see if its been replaced before but from reading through the forum it sounds like I definitely will need to get this replaced if it hasn't been done already,

I have also read that it may need to be replaced every 3-4 years does this sound right or have I misread?

Thanks,
Josh

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Buying a MK6 GTI - Timing Chain Tensioner Question
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2018, 16:37 »
If it has not had the tensioner replaced then negotiate a reduced price to get it done - preferably by a VW dealer or reputable VW indie. There is a third revision of the tensioner that should be fitted. VW say in the handbook that the chain should be checked at 120k miles!! The tensioner should not need doing every three years although it is worth getting the chains checked for stretch before the 120k. There is a check using diagnostic software (VCDS) for chain stretch that you can find on the timing chain tensioner topic. The tensioner can be checked visually through an inspection hole in the timing chain cover although it is a pain to do as it is difficult to get to.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.