Author Topic: Detailing new purchase?  (Read 4118 times)

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
Detailing new purchase?
« on: 16 January 2018, 17:27 »
Ideally I would like a proper detailer to do my car straight from dealers but finances are on limit and feel GAP and Wheel ins are a definite.
So hopefully I will be able to do a semi reasonable job myself as when I get my car I will have a few days off work.
Few questions , my friend has a DA polisher is it safe for a novice to use on new paintwork? ( I will probably practice on my work van 1st)
What products would be best for the paintwork to seal?
Advise appreciated.
Thanks
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Detailing new purchase?
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2018, 17:36 »
I wouldn't bother with wheel insurance unless it's free and definitely buy your Gap insurance from a proper seller and not from the dealer.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2018, 17:40 »
^^^what he said!!!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2018, 18:06 »
Yes it’s safe to use a DA on new paint (plenty have their cars pro detailed and machine polished straight off) but if you are a complete novice I’d definitely notch up some practice on a ‘lesser’ car first. And go in with the least aggressive pads and polish first.

As for products to seal, it a very open expansive question.  Some prefer waxes, some favour nano or polymer sealants such as Gyeon, Gtechniq, Sonax.  Some guidance in this thread and lots and lots of threads with good advice in the detailing section of the forum, so start by looking in there, and maybe post detailing questions in that section if you have more questions.   :smiley:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277318.0

Some DA polishing tips here.  http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=278377.msg2544428#msg2544428

And, as said, forget the wheel insurance. Often it doesn’t cover diamond cut wheels.   Look at ASA for GAP, discount codes PISTON12, Money10 and VP10 have worked in the past. 

« Last Edit: 16 January 2018, 21:48 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2018, 18:20 »
Yes it’s safe to use a DA on new paint (plenty have their cars pro detailed and machine polished straight off) but if you are a complete novice I’d definitely notch up some practice on a ‘lesser’ car first. And go in with the least aggressive pads and polish first.

As for products to seal, it a very open expansive question.  Some prefer waxes, some favour nano or polymer sealants such as Gyeon, Gtechniq, Sonax.  Some guidance in this thread and lots and lots of threads with good advice in the detailing section of the forum, so start by looking in there, and maybe post detailing questions in that section if you have more questions.   :smiley:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277318.0

And, as said, forget the wheel insurance. Often it doesn’t cover diamond cut wheels.   Look at ASA for GAP, discount codes PISTON15, Money10 and VP10 have worked in the past. 

Thanks Booth I was wondering how long you would take to reply, top notch detailer yourself, I see you on vwroc as well as I was considering an R.
I think I've got a good deal on GAP, probably won't go with wheel ins, looked at policy wording does cover diamond cut but only up to £150 to repair or replace per claim, i think a Brescia would cost a lot more than that!
Will look on detailing section and ask questions there.
Just trying to use my time up wisely while waiting for delivery.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2018, 20:53 »
For a brand new car, the need to use a DA should be minimal. They're might well be some light localised swirling, so I would personally just do some spot correction if and where required using a non-too-aggressive pad.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2018, 22:15 »
For a brand new car, the need to use a DA should be minimal. They're might well be some light localised swirling, so I would personally just do some spot correction if and where required using a non-too-aggressive pad.

My experience suggests the opposite. Use a minimally abrasive finishing pad if you must but go all around the car for a perfect even finish.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2018, 10:17 »
Ideally I would like a proper detailer to do my car straight from dealers but finances are on limit and feel GAP and Wheel ins are a definite.
So hopefully I will be able to do a semi reasonable job myself as when I get my car I will have a few days off work.
Few questions , my friend has a DA polisher is it safe for a novice to use on new paintwork? ( I will probably practice on my work van 1st)
What products would be best for the paintwork to seal?
Advise appreciated.
Thanks

Give Jim_Mk7.5 on here a shout, he is doing me a cracking deal on a new car detail including wheels when my new Tiguan arrives.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2018, 10:44 »
If you’ve never used a DA polisher before I wouldn’t recommend starting on a brand new car. If you don’t know what your doing you could cause far more damage than good.

Yes it’s a lot of money to spend but you should get a professional detailer to work on the car

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2018, 10:49 »
If you’ve never used a DA polisher before I wouldn’t recommend starting on a brand new car. If you don’t know what your doing you could cause far more damage than good.

Yes it’s a lot of money to spend but you should get a professional detailer to work on the car

Good advice, but again use a less abrasive polish and pad combination to start. Don’t start for the first time on a brand new car, I did a 9 yr old civic many years ago as my first and haven’t looked back since. Incidentally that car looked better than new once I was done!