Author Topic: VW Approved - knocking down dealer prices  (Read 1812 times)

Offline mainoooo

• Just got here
VW Approved - knocking down dealer prices
« on: 16 January 2018, 07:45 »
I know every dealer and car is different but has anyone had any joy getting money off an approved used performance golf?

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: VW Approved - knocking down dealer prices
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2018, 09:06 »
Are you PX'ing or just buying?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2018, 09:19 »
I guess if a dealer wants to shift some metal any offer has to be considered, particularly if you are buying with VW finance.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline mainoooo

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2018, 10:33 »
Are you PX'ing or just buying?

Buying cash.
Trying to gauge how much I can offer (if anything) under the price price they are advertising at.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2018, 10:56 »
You are actually in the weakest position buying cash.... with PX they have two different pots to juggle, you can often get an overall better deal. With finance, they have their finance kick back in play as well, they might well budge because of the money they get from VWFS.

I don't know if its possible to do the PCP trick? ie sign up for PCP then terminate the agreement immediately by paying it off once you have the car?

Never heard anyone try that one, but it should be the same as buying new (obviously without the deposit contribution)

I'd try an offer for cash, maybe a grand or so under what they have on the screen, then if that fails say "I haven't got that much money" and ask about PCP, you might find they will accept the low ball on a PCP.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mainoooo

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2018, 11:30 »
Cheers Fred

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2018, 12:08 »
I know every dealer and car is different but has anyone had any joy getting money off an approved used performance golf?

As already said take out PCP, then pay it straight off.  I bought a 3 year old mk7 GTI last year from a main VW dealer approved used, I was p/xing my mk6 GTI (got top CAP eval for this).  Managed to haggle £300 off the asking price (no PCP involved at this point).  I then discussed PCP, VW at the time were offering a further £500 contribution (totalling £800 off the asking price with the £300 already haggled), plus two free services in future (one minor service, one major).  The way I viewed it was the services were worth around £500.  So by taking PCP out with VW finance I obtained £800 total off the price, plus 2 services.

I called up VW finance about a week later to pay off the outstanding finance (after I had confirmed once again the I would be able to keep the free services and £500 VW contribution). Think it cost £23 in finance interest.

Many other of the forum have also done the 'PCP trick' and kept the benefits.  Of course every dealer, car value(s), and situation is different, but PCP does seem to help.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2018, 13:48 by mikegti77 »
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2018, 12:11 »
Paying with cash won't necessarily enable you to negotiate a lower price, but it will save you paying lots of interest.

Once upon a time, cash was king when it came to buying cars, but that's not always the case now. If the dealer is struggling, and you insist on paying cash, then it's a case of 'any port in a storm'. But realistically they make so much money from finance agreements, that's where all the savings are to be had. Not by offering large discounts to cash buyers. I'd do what Fred suggests, make them a sensible offer that you're comfortable with. Or ask if there are any deposit contributions available for taking out finance, then sign up and pay off straight away.
7.5 GTD