Author Topic: Mk 7.5 GTI parking sensors  (Read 2738 times)

Offline davyk31

• I live here
Mk 7.5 GTI parking sensors
« on: 12 January 2018, 12:17 »
I'm maybe being stupid here but I have noticed and my wife who drives the car more also reports that on occasions the parking sensors show something on the screen but have no beep. For example this morning where I park at work is tight against a fence, I drive forward slowly and the system must auto engage as the screen shows the front left sensor picking up the fence but no beeps.

Also on two occasions when reversing into my garage which is not tight but the sensors will pick up the walls at the door it has gone into some kind of emergency stop mode. Kinda scary as my first thought was that I had hit something.

Any ideas on these guys?

When the sensor screen in on there are two little boxes to press, haven't quite worked out what these do but maybe they mute the system? I'm not touching them so that isn't what is causing them seeming to mute.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 7.5 GTI parking sensors
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2018, 12:24 »
The emergency stop thing is enabled disabled in the car menu - braking during manoeuvring.

You can disable it (enabled by default) but equally it can stop you hitting stuff.

I have to disable it to reverse off of a sloping drive, but I do so by just turning off the park assist mode with the P button down by the gear lever.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2018, 14:48 »
Sounds like it’s worth keeping the emergency braking as it’s only happened twice.

The lack of noise from parking sensors is a bit more worrying for me.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2018, 15:26 »
Also on two occasions when reversing into my garage which is not tight but the sensors will pick up the walls at the door it has gone into some kind of emergency stop mode. Kinda scary as my first thought was that I had hit something.

This happened to me the other night. It scared me too. :embarrassed:

Could the sound have something to do with how it is activated. I notice more noise after the car has been in reverse. Less noise if I drive up to something and it auto-activates. I wonder is auto activation less sensitive. :undecided:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2018, 15:43 »
The beeping (assuming that you haven't disabled the sound!) will happen... the display shows both things it can see and also ones that it believes *were* there too (confusing I know). Only things that are getting closer will cause it to beep...

You also have to watch out if you are maneuvering (relatively) quickly because the ultra sonic sensors are quite slow to react. Unless you are going really slowly, you will hit something before its seen it...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2018, 20:26 »
Do you use separate keys?  Not sure if VW ones have user settings so one key may have different parking settings to the other and may just be a case of turning your volume up.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2018, 20:37 »
On the Mk7.5 you have different user profiles which I think are tied to the keys... certainly there are different user profiles which can be selected manually when you start the car.