Author Topic: NEW Gtd questions  (Read 13734 times)

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
Re: NEW Gtd questions
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2017, 19:53 »
Okay will do! Shame this happened, as it has spoilt the new car, ownership feel. The service manager at dealer we got the car from, was an absolute disgrace when dealing with us and called the fault our own, plus some other nasty comments! I noted he has been complained about before..
 As I said thankfully a really nice sales chap, talked us through the handbrake operation and apologised for the service guys attitude.What he said, did make a lot of sense. He prefers old school handbrakes though, but we're pretty much stuck with the car and are trying really hard to see the positives in it, after a few things going wrong! Computer stopped working on the second day of ownership, then rear handbrake failed to release when driving away in traffic etc.

Though I guess it is a GTI with a diesel engine in right, or am I wrong about that too (according to the service manager, probably)! :undecided:
« Last Edit: 31 January 2017, 20:18 by GTDING »

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2017, 20:12 »
Messing this quote thing up now! :laugh:
« Last Edit: 31 January 2017, 20:18 by GTDING »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2017, 21:22 »
I can't say for the Golf but on my CC 2015 I often have the same problem you have but I have it when going forward. There is a part of road that I use a lot and it is a T junction that is on a downhill and from time to time when I'm edging out to check for traffic as it is also on a bend, the car will just stop dead like I have hit the brakes. Frightened the bejeesus out of me the first time it happened.

Congrats on the new car, I'm picking mine up on the 1st of March.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2017, 07:33 »
I can't say for the Golf but on my CC 2015 I often have the same problem you have but I have it when going forward. There is a part of road that I use a lot and it is a T junction that is on a downhill and from time to time when I'm edging out to check for traffic as it is also on a bend, the car will just stop dead like I have hit the brakes. Frightened the bejeesus out of me the first time it happened.

Thanks. As I say, its early into the car relationship thing, so with a few faults so far, we are apprehensive so far! I hope yours is spot on from the start.

Could I ask, does the problem occur with the auto hold on, when pulling out of the downhill junction?

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2017, 09:07 »

Thanks. As I say, its early into the car relationship thing, so with a few faults so far, we are apprehensive so far! I hope yours is spot on from the start.

Could I ask, does the problem occur with the auto hold on, when pulling out of the downhill junction?

Yes, I have never had auto hold turned off.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2017, 10:26 »
I still think the problem is (and I'm not being rude) driver error... maybe you can find a member on here near you who can give you a few mins of time in exchange for a cup of tea?

I reckon that would sort out your problems...

That a VW dealer know nothing about your car really is absolutely no surprise to anyone here. Just the same as the man in PC World knows actually bugger all about your computer.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2017, 19:35 »
Thanks all!

Forgetting the electronic handbrake for a moment, what does turning the ESC Sport mode do to the driving experience? Do you notice any difference, or benefits to driving in this mode (on the road, not track)?

I'm beginning to see that this is a very powerful motor indeed! Feeling the turbo coming in, is like being hit with a mallet, compared to my last car...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2017, 10:01 »
"Sport mode" changes the electronic fly by wire throttle mapping. In other words what in "normal" mode gives you 20% throttle for 15mm of pedal travel (just a random example) gives you 40% in "sport".

It does some other things too - changes the electronic steering rack turn rate (steering feels heavier), changes the bendy headlights to "sport" (no idea exactly what changes), ACC accelerates faster and if you have DCC, makes the *initial* damping firmer. Oh and also it makes the internal soundaktor louder - the fake engine noise is more pronounced.

If you choose individual mode, you can choose which of these things you want set to what.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2017, 11:37 »
"Sport mode" changes the electronic fly by wire throttle mapping. In other words what in "normal" mode gives you 20% throttle for 15mm of pedal travel (just a random example) gives you 40% in "sport".

It does some other things too - changes the electronic steering rack turn rate (steering feels heavier), changes the bendy headlights to "sport" (no idea exactly what changes), ACC accelerates faster and if you have DCC, makes the *initial* damping firmer. Oh and also it makes the internal soundaktor louder - the fake engine noise is more pronounced.

If you choose individual mode, you can choose which of these things you want set to what.

OK thanks. What does ESC Sport mode do to the driving experience? Anything worth experiencing? I think it turns off the traction control and limits the Anti skid reduction, but wanted to know what you can feel through the car, or rather what the car can/or can't do, as the case maybe, in this mode?
« Last Edit: 02 February 2017, 19:34 by GTDING »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2017, 12:08 »
Oh sorry, i misunderstood you.

ESC is electronic stability control. It brakes individual wheels to correct abnormal vehicle direction.

Sticking it into sport reduces the sensitivity of the mechanism, allowing the vehicle to handle to some degree in more ways than a normal road driver would want to happen.

Using VCDS you can actually totally switch it off.

If you imagine that safety tech just "spoils your fun", go for it. Personally I'd sooner have anything help me avoid death and destruction. Shaving off 0.1 second from my trip to work doesn't really bother me!