Author Topic: Mk6 stereo switching on and off  (Read 8321 times)

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
Mk6 stereo switching on and off
« on: 11 March 2014, 21:27 »
My stereo is driving me crazy. When ever I have the ignition off and turn the radio on (did have rcd310 now rsn510) after a few seconds to a minute it will switch off, I turn it back on same again switch off, I get fed up of keep switching it on so I leave it then it switches back on by itself! If I have the ignition on it works fine but with the ignition off it does what it wants.

I don't know if this problem is affecting it but the interior lights also come on and off randomly when sat in the car with the ignition off.

Could this be a power issue or is there sensors maybe part of the alarm that are causing the light and the radio to turn off when no movement and back on when it does see some?
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Mk6 stereo switching on and off
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2014, 22:28 »
Does your stereo completely switch off (i.e. no power at all) as if you were using the on/off knob?

I ask because my rcd510 has recently developed an issue with loss of sound on ignition startup.  Stereo comes on as normal when ignition key initially inserted but 2/3 secs after engine is turned over, stereo sound is halted, as if it's been muted (it's not), though the stereo remains switched on.  The remedy is to actually mute it using steering wheel button then unmute it, then the sound returns.   At first I thought it was an iPod fault but it also happens when the radio is playing.  It happens every time car is started up and is becoming pretty annoying.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2014, 22:34 »
yea its like its been turned off the screen goes completely black nothing showing, if the ignition is on or engine is running its fine its only when the ignition is off
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2014, 22:37 »
Faulty on/off knob perhaps??
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2014, 22:43 »
It happened with the stereo the car came with rcd310 I think and now ive got an rns510 it still does the same I think it must have something todo with sensors because the lights come on and off inside aswell.

Offline Yuley

• GTI forum regular
  • DBP .:R32 :)
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2018, 08:20 »
I appreciate this is a very old thread..... but i have the exact same issue. Just purchased a 2010 mk6 (1.6tdi). It had the rcd310 fitted as standard, it was cutting in and out. Losing all power to the headunit then immediately powering back up. I've replaced with an rcd510, assuming it was a head unit fault. However, the problem persists.

Does anyone have any clue what it could be? its driving me insane.
Mk3 1.4
To
Astravan
To
Mk4 .:R32   Things just got interesting ;)