Author Topic: "Easy-entry" seats??? Mine don't slide...  (Read 7048 times)

Offline jphealy

• GTI forum regular
"Easy-entry" seats??? Mine don't slide...
« on: 16 February 2009, 14:05 »
I just picked up my first GTI on Saturday.  Hot-damn it's fast (coming from a 10yr old 1.4 Astra)!!  Anyway, I love it.  It's a 2006 model year, 3 door.

One thing I'm not getting is the supposed "easy-entry" seats.  They're supposed to slide forward after you lift the handle and tilt the seat-back forward - is that right?  I'm lifting the handle and tilting the seat-back forward, but there's no movement forward of the seat-base.  I know you have to push it or pull it or whatever, and I'm trying that, but it won't budge.  Could it just be really stiff?

Is there a knack to it that I'm missing?  I don't want to force it too much and break something!

Offline Edition30

• Here all the time
Re: "Easy-entry" seats??? Mine don't slide...
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2009, 14:21 »
When you push the back of the seat forward it usually releases the base and slides forward. Theres no other way to do it except pull the base forward via the handle underneath the seat, but that will soon get annoying. Back to the stealers I say and get them to have a look if it isn't up to scratch.
sorry but my vaux looks far better than the mk5 gti, thats why i bought it  :wink: faster too  :grin:  :tongue:

July/08 Pearl Black Golf GTI Edition 30

Offline wellzee

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2009, 14:50 »
Mine are pretty stiff, they don't slide forward incredibly easily, but they do move with a decent push. If you have given it some welly and they still don't slide at all then this is not right and you should take it to a dealer as ed30 said

Black 08 GTi - 18" Monza II's, Leather, Centre Arm Rest, Parking Sensors - Love It!

Offline jphealy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2009, 14:56 »
Thanks guys.  I haven't tried them all that much yet (only have the car 2 days, and still haven't actually had anyone in the back).  I'll have a proper look again at both seats this evening, and see if they'll move for me.  Can you tell me: does the handle need to remain lifted to allow them to slide, or can you release the handle once the seat's tilted forward?

Offline gtiski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2009, 15:08 »
Thanks guys.  I haven't tried them all that much yet (only have the car 2 days, and still haven't actually had anyone in the back).  I'll have a proper look again at both seats this evening, and see if they'll move for me.  Can you tell me: does the handle need to remain lifted to allow them to slide, or can you release the handle once the seat's tilted forward?

you need to keep the handle lifted and the back pushed right forward. bit fiddley sometimes.

Offline wellzee

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2009, 16:01 »

Yeh if you're not keeping the handle lifted that will be why they aren't sliding

Black 08 GTi - 18" Monza II's, Leather, Centre Arm Rest, Parking Sensors - Love It!

Offline Edition30

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2009, 17:27 »
Dont think you do need to keep the handle lifted, the handle releases the back of the seat to tilt it forward and when you push the back of the seat towards the dash that releases the base....if that makes sense.
sorry but my vaux looks far better than the mk5 gti, thats why i bought it  :wink: faster too  :grin:  :tongue:

July/08 Pearl Black Golf GTI Edition 30

Offline hotrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2009, 17:36 »
mines in for warranty next week... passenger seat stopped moving forward. rubbish quality compared to my old MK4!

GTI Edition 30 (1783)   Candy white   KKK04 turbo

Offline stokeballoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2009, 17:38 »
I seem to remember, that you lift the handle once to tilt the back, and then keep it lifted and push the seat forward.  

If you release the handle after tilting, the seat base will not slide.

:undecided:

Offline Spaced

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2009, 19:20 »
There is a plastic retainer kind of L shaped located on the bottom of the seat, it holds the cable that operates the sliding mechanism, they can break (as one of mine did) replacements cost about 70p and you can fit it yourself. You may have to fine tune the length of cable by screwing it in or out like a brake cable on a push bike.

Loyal owner since 2005, done with remapping, I drive a Golf not a Veyron. (hypocrite)