Author Topic: Speaker and head unit wires  (Read 1182 times)

Offline yabbie

• GTI forum regular
Speaker and head unit wires
« on: 24 October 2006, 18:57 »
Hello all just looking for abit of help with my car its got an 8 speaker setup which is factory. all i want to know is if you where to redo the lot would you use the cable already there or would you put some good quality stuff in, then run it straight back to the head unit ? also if anyone could let me know what the colour cables are eg red=power and so on i want to lable everything up cause the person before me has cut all the wires and done really bad job I have a mk3 golf gti 3dr 97reg thanks

Offline V_Arse6

• GTI forum regular
Re: Speaker and head unit wires
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2006, 10:30 »
Hello all just looking for abit of help with my car its got an 8 speaker setup which is factory. all i want to know is if you where to redo the lot would you use the cable already there or would you put some good quality stuff in, then run it straight back to the head unit ? also if anyone could let me know what the colour cables are eg red=power and so on i want to lable everything up cause the person before me has cut all the wires and done really bad job I have a mk3 golf gti 3dr 97reg thanks
It's not really 8 speaker as such, it's just each of the four channels is split into Woofers and tweeters (Little ones being tweeters - they have an in-line capacitor which filters out the lower frequencies).  on the mk3 golfs, it's not the same wire colour all the way from the HU to the speaker in the door - rather it goes into a big multi-plug (along with power mirrors, windows, door lock stuff, etc)  by the hinge, and then a different wire goes from the plug to the speaker in the door.  It did my head in when I was wiring up, but some time with a multimeter soon sorted that out.

I just left the original wire in there for now.  At some point I'll rewire everything, but the original stuff isn't terrible at all (hey, it sounds good to me...)

If your previous bodge-job guy wired in standard ISO connectors, then which wires which will be fairly easy to check, since it's a standard (google)...  Wouldn't want to comment on colours though since I don't know the extent to which the previous guy hacked it up... :undecided:

'95 Mk3 VR6
FK Highsports, Crystal Clear Fogs/Indicators/Repeaters, Mk4 Style Headlights, PiperX induction, Bonnet lifters. (Need to update pic for new headlights)

Offline yabbie

• GTI forum regular
Re: Speaker and head unit wires
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2006, 16:24 »
mmm well all of the cables had been cut like i said but he also had extra bits of cable tapped into stuff like only an inch or two but it wasnt really going anywhere. i have since looked at the wiring and ripped it all out just gonna start from scratch tomorro think i might have worked it out thanks for your help