Author Topic: Mk4 Headunit Problem  (Read 1352 times)

Offline wratey

• Not said much yet
  • 2000 Mk4 GTI 1.8T
Mk4 Headunit Problem
« on: 14 June 2009, 11:24 »
hi, ive got an alpine ida-x001 headunit and im having trouble pushing it all the way back. i know in my clio i had to beat out a bit of plastic from the back, because it was blocking the headunit, and the golf seems to have the same sorta thing. is this a common problem? or is it possible to fit an aftermarket headunit in the mk4 without breaking the plastic? i think its only a support/fixing for the original gamma stereo, which i have no intention of re-fitting, but i would rather not start breaking things.

cheers, wratey

Offline GregUK

• GTI forum regular
  • 2001 Golf GTI 1.8T AUM 150bhp in Diamond Black
Re: Mk4 Headunit Problem
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2009, 00:28 »
hi, ive got an alpine ida-x001 headunit and im having trouble pushing it all the way back. i know in my clio i had to beat out a bit of plastic from the back, because it was blocking the headunit, and the golf seems to have the same sorta thing. is this a common problem? or is it possible to fit an aftermarket headunit in the mk4 without breaking the plastic? i think its only a support/fixing for the original gamma stereo, which i have no intention of re-fitting, but i would rather not start breaking things.

cheers, wratey

Any standard DIN head unit should fit without modification. Check that the plastic/rubber stop on the back of the head unit isn't bigger than the hole it slots into, and also that there aren't any cables prevent it from slotting in.

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2009, 20:43 »
it will probably be the loom or rcas fouling at the rear of the h/u
have you mounted it in the top or bottom position
if the top the loom from the h/u will need to be pushed to one side left or right depending on what side the loom comes out on the alpine (usually the right)
if it is in the bottom the loom will need to be pushed down into the recess below it you may also need to feed the aerial lead under aswell
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline DarkGti

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2009, 16:34 »
no pal the alpine idax001 is a really crap fit in a mk4 i had one and it came out that far every time i changed gear i would knock the search button! it got really annoying so i sold it(got a really good price from ebay £197) and brought a double din pioneer avh-p3100dvd! :smiley: