Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 533636 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1180 on: 24 June 2017, 09:37 »
Taa very muchly, that's on order now too!

No problem. I found it's quite a tight fit the first few times I attached it to my pressure washer. I lightly greased the connector and it was much better after that.

Good tip, thanks :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline bdm85

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1181 on: 24 June 2017, 23:18 »
picked up my 7.5 GTI in Isaac blue this morning.  Asked the dealer for it not to be prepped, so I spent all of today detailing it.  Thankfully it stayed dry but unfortunately there weren't enough hours in the day. Still have Gtechniq wheel and windscreen sealant to apply.

Sorry only the one photo, will take more once fully finished.

The car was decon washed, clayed, Blackfire GEP, AFPP and finished with a coat of midnight sun wax (may give it another coat).

« Last Edit: 24 June 2017, 23:42 by Booth11 »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1182 on: 24 June 2017, 23:24 »
picked up my 7.5 GTI in Isaac blue this morning.  Asked the dealer for it not to be prepped, so I spent all of today detailing it.  Thankfully it stayed dry but unfortunately there weren't enough hours in the day. Still have Gtechniq wheel and windscreen sealant to apply.

The car was decon washed, clayed, Blackfire GEP, AFPP and finished with a coat of midnight sun wax (may give it another coat).

https://flic.kr/p/VRdNVd

Looks fabulous!  Great work.  :cool:

To get the pic to embed you need to copy and paste the BBCode which you can only do from full Flickr website (not an option with mobile app).
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1183 on: 24 June 2017, 23:27 »

https://flic.kr/p/VRdNVd

Looks great. I like the red accents of the GTI with Isaac Blue. Look forward to seeing some more pictures.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline bdm85

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1184 on: 24 June 2017, 23:40 »
Colour looks great in the flesh, photos don't do it justice.  I bought it based on a small swatch, so glad I did. Works well with the red accents.

So many other details I picked up when cleaning, like the honeycomb profile has been carried into the lights.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1185 on: 24 June 2017, 23:43 »
Colour looks great in the flesh, photos don't do it justice.  I bought it based on a small swatch, so glad I did. Works well with the red accents.

So many other details I picked up when cleaning, like the honeycomb profile has been carried into the lights.

I've taken the liberty of embedding your pic, hope you don't mind, but it's nice to see it in all it's glory!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline bdm85

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1186 on: 24 June 2017, 23:45 »
Thanks 😀

I couldn't face starting the laptop up. Will do tomorrow once the cars finished!

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #1187 on: 25 June 2017, 01:54 »

This is something I've been thinking about getting for a while, thanks for the links, is the Magifoam that comes with the AB one a good product do you know?

I've not ever used Magifoam, but I think it's quite well regarded. 

My preferred snow foams are ValetPro Advanced Neutral http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/foam-pre-wash/valet-pro-advanced-neutral-snow-foam/prod_1087.html

and, Bilt Hamber Auto Foam  http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1165

Both are of a thinner consistency than some which I personally prefer as I find some of the thicker (shaving foam consistency) ones don't do much other than cling to the car.  The thinner foams, cling long enough but then run well off the paintwork carrying the grime with them. 

I would avoid Meguiars Hyper Wash which is not very effective.

Thanks Rebecca, was about to order some wash buckets from CYC so I might get the VP as well so I can compare with the Magifoam

I have used lots of magifoam and although it's great at being thick and foamy, that's all it's good for. It doesn't really clean like a lot of the other foams on the market do and it stays on the drive for hours. I use Bilt Hamber Auto Foam and it only needs a 5 minute dwell time and it actually cleans really well, it's especially handy in the winter for a touch-less wash/rinse.

In my experience I would steer clear of Autobrite as you can buy better products elsewhere for a lot cheaper.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #1188 on: 25 June 2017, 18:51 »
Well we got back after a run about yesterday decided to give the Gti a clean and quick wax nothing over the top but as I walked back to the car caught a glimpse of this reflection so thought I'd share it  :whistle: you can get a good result with minimal effort at times

2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #1189 on: 25 June 2017, 23:29 »
Wow!  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!  That tailpipe.  :cool:

They don't look like normal mineral deposits to me, though that is where the water would pool  Try a bit of white vinegar on them and see if they budge.  Also try claying them. 

Great pics.

Thanks for your reply Rebecca.

I won't get round to washing it for another couple of weeks so I'll try your suggestions. Failing that I'll inspect all four alloys and possibly send it into the stealers to request replacements.

The only thing that has touched them is tap water, snow foam, tardis and fallout remover. The latter two were rinsed thoroughly away and were not left to dry, even so I shouldn't imagine that they would leave such a mark that almost resembles scratches.

I'd get it to the dealer asap, the longer you leave it the more chance of them saying 'it wasn't like that when you picked it up'

I tried white vinegar soaked cotton wool pads and then a small bit a clay. Both efforts didn't touch the marks. I did notice that they aren't that visible when not in direct sunlight and I have had a long think about what to do next.

I have decided that I can't be bothered to do anything about them and I'll just live with them along with my drivers side floor crunch, passenger door bass vibrations (fixed with furry velcro tape between the door and door card) and the rear seat shuffling (fixed with a microfibre wedged inside the armrest). I just can't be bothered with the hassle of sending in into the dealers when I know that any normal person wouldn't have noticed any of these issues at all.

I got my first stone chip last week so I have bigger fish to fry at the moment!