Author Topic: ESP traction light  (Read 2171 times)

Offline 52GTIPETE

• Not said much yet
ESP traction light
« on: 09 July 2014, 14:31 »
The dreaded light appeared on my dash a couple of weeks ago. Through trial and error I have managed to cure the problem. I went through 6 brake light switches thinking I was breaking them even though my brake lights were working to no avail. I swapped my MAF with the one from my partners car to no avail. After running a diagnostics check an error coming up pointing to ESP sensor. These retail at £500+ from TPS. I managed to buy a second hand unit for £14.99. Changed it over and now no ESP light. ESP can be turned on and off too. A big weight off my mind I will say that much. All I will say is don't give up.  :grin:

Offline Scottymanc32

• Just got here
Re: ESP traction light
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2015, 20:39 »
Hi, im having trouble with my ESP traction light coming on regular but when it comes on the engine misfires and it struggles to idle when cold until it warms up, do you think its similar to your problem?

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2015, 21:10 »
If a light in the dash comes on that's the cars way to poke you that it wants to tell you something..... so speak with it through VCDS :D

This will give you fault codes, anything else is just a shot in the dark.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

VW BUSH

« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2015, 23:12 »
My ESP light cost me £700 to fix.....
Steering column ecu and steering wheel angle sensor cost £540 :shocked:
Did get a 2 year guarantee on the work and genuine parts through my local indy VW garage though.

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2015, 12:47 »
My ESP light cost me £700 to fix.....
Steering column ecu and steering wheel angle sensor cost £540 :shocked:
Did get a 2 year guarantee on the work and genuine parts through my local indy VW garage though.

Offt....your post just gave me goosebumps Bush  :grin:

Offline eddie_t

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2015, 15:29 »
A dead MAF will cause rough running and oddly a dead MAF can also make the your ESP light come on. No idea why or how the two are related but when my MAF went the ESP light came on and I thought 'great! two things to fix' but thank fully the new maf cured all.
1.8t aum currently FOR SALE!