Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529816 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #170 on: 06 December 2015, 21:29 »
I'll shut the door behind me.... :cry:

Dry your tears, you can stay.  This place would be the worse for your absence.  :smiley:

Back to topic......

No actual detailing today – had other things to do and it rained all day, which made me feel slightly better about my neglected car.

However I did a bit of detailing Christmas shopping this evening.   

Ordered this which I’ve had my eye for about a year.  http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/metro-vac-vac-n-blow/prod_1090.html   It’s an Xmas/birthday present from my better half.  What more could a girl want for Xmas.  Who says romance is dead, lol!

Intending to do a bit of sealant comparing when the weather improves so also ordered a few candidates:

Sonax BSD
CarPro Reload
Gtechniq C2V3
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #171 on: 06 December 2015, 21:51 »

Dry your tears, you can stay.  This place would be the worse for your absence.  :smiley:

Back to topic......

No actual detailing today – had other things to do and it rained all day, which made me feel slightly better about my neglected car.

Ordered this which I’ve had my eye for about a year.  http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/metro-vac-vac-n-blow/prod_1090.html   It’s an Xmas/birthday present from my better half.  What more could a girl want for Xmas.  Who says romance is dead, lol!

Intending to do a bit of sealant comparing when the weather improves so also ordered a few candidates:

Sonax BSD
CarPro Reload
Gtechniq C2V3

Haha now I'm welling up with happiness!  :tongue:

Soon jealous of your metro vac! Also really looking forward to the results of your sealant test, that was a trio I was actually gonna compare for this winter but held out till I can give the car some correction love in the spring.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #172 on: 06 December 2015, 22:41 »
The sealant test may have to wait till spring as want it on fresh clean polished paint which will take place after winter.  It's getting more complicated by the minute though!

One thing I'm really interested in is the question of whether wax and Gtechniq C2V3 and other similar sealants can really work together. I absolutely love the velvety depth and gloss finish of a good wax, which is key to making Deep Black Pearl look it's best IMO.  But I'm also interested in the merits of nano sealants and synthetic polymer sealants.  There is such contradictory info out there on what order is best if you are using wax with it. 

For instance many say that C2 needs bare clean paint in order to bond properly, and that wax will not last very long on top.  And others say you should put wax on first and then top with the sealant.  But although C2 gives great protection and has good reflective qualities, I'm not overly keen on the hard sterile, glassy finish it can give.  It doesn't match the lovely finish good wax. There's a trade off I think.  The finish is as important to me as the protection.

There's a lot of Gtechniq fanboys out there on other forums who will have you believe that nothing can better it, but I'm not convinced. I don't doubt the likes of C2 delivers on the durability and longevity of protections front, but I've yet to see anything of it to convince me of it's superiority in the finish and beading stakes, over a traditional sealant/wax combo.  It's quite subjective, so only way to find out is to test it myself.  So I will probably try:

panel with sealant only on bare paint
panel with sealant and wax on top
panel with wax on bare paint and sealant on top.

May run out of panels, haha. Will have to do a chart to remember what on what panel!  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 06 December 2015, 22:46 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #173 on: 07 December 2015, 09:41 »

Back to topic......

Sonax BSD
CarPro Reload
Gtechniq C2V3

Haha now I'm welling up with happiness!  :tongue:

Soon jealous of your metro vac! Also really looking forward to the results of your sealant test, that was a trio I was actually gonna compare for this winter but held out till I can give the car some correction love in the spring.

Very smart.

I've just ordered a garagevac from my wife for xmas but I'm not sure she see's the value in it  :laugh:

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #174 on: 07 December 2015, 12:29 »
The sealant test may have to wait till spring as want it on fresh clean polished paint which will take place after winter.  It's getting more complicated by the minute though!

One thing I'm really interested in is the question of whether wax and Gtechniq C2V3 and other similar sealants can really work together. I absolutely love the velvety depth and gloss finish of a good wax, which is key to making Deep Black Pearl look it's best IMO.  But I'm also interested in the merits of nano sealants and synthetic polymer sealants.  There is such contradictory info out there on what order is best if you are using wax with it. 

For instance many say that C2 needs bare clean paint in order to bond properly, and that wax will not last very long on top.  And others say you should put wax on first and then top with the sealant.  But although C2 gives great protection and has good reflective qualities, I'm not overly keen on the hard sterile, glassy finish it can give.  It doesn't match the lovely finish good wax. There's a trade off I think.  The finish is as important to me as the protection.

There's a lot of Gtechniq fanboys out there on other forums who will have you believe that nothing can better it, but I'm not convinced. I don't doubt the likes of C2 delivers on the durability and longevity of protections front, but I've yet to see anything of it to convince me of it's superiority in the finish and beading stakes, over a traditional sealant/wax combo.  It's quite subjective, so only way to find out is to test it myself.  So I will probably try:

panel with sealant only on bare paint
panel with sealant and wax on top
panel with wax on bare paint and sealant on top.

May run out of panels, haha. Will have to do a chart to remember what on what panel!  :rolleyes:

This will be a good one! Must admit I was also very sceptical when it came to spray sealants but I'm now truly converted. Out of the three you're trying, personally I didn't get on with C2v3. The others are outstanding. BSD is quite tricky to apply in that it's certainly not slick. It might feel like the cloth is grabbing a bit but persevere and the results are tremendous, certainly from a beading point of view.

ReLoad looks glossier, smells amazing and also beads wonderfully. You can also apply it to a wet car to aid with the drying process which adds to the appeal for me too. Used after each wash, you're constantly topping up the protection which is ideal.

If I ever do single day enhancements for friends, after a single stage machine polish I generally always finish with Sonax Hybrid NPT aerosol sealant (also tricky to apply but easily lasts 8-9 months) topped with BSD. A brilliant combo.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Jon
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #175 on: 07 December 2015, 18:03 »
[quote author=Booth11

Sonax BSD
CarPro Reload
Gtechniq C2V3

Are you intending doing the teat on the R or your hubbies VW ? also did you get the detail done on it ?and does it look good ?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #176 on: 07 December 2015, 18:44 »
This will be a good one! Must admit I was also very sceptical when it came to spray sealants but I'm now truly converted. Out of the three you're trying, personally I didn't get on with C2v3. The others are outstanding. BSD is quite tricky to apply in that it's certainly not slick. It might feel like the cloth is grabbing a bit but persevere and the results are tremendous, certainly from a beading point of view.

ReLoad looks glossier, smells amazing and also beads wonderfully. You can also apply it to a wet car to aid with the drying process which adds to the appeal for me too. Used after each wash, you're constantly topping up the protection which is ideal.

If I ever do single day enhancements for friends, after a single stage machine polish I generally always finish with Sonax Hybrid NPT aerosol sealant (also tricky to apply but easily lasts 8-9 months) topped with BSD. A brilliant combo.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Jon

It will be an interesting test Jon.  It's also interesting to hear your thoughts on the C2V3 as that's probably the one I'm least convinced about. People either rave about it or don't rate it at all.  I shall see for myself but all the beading shots I've seen with it have failed to impress, very mediocre in that respect from what I've seen. Not sure why but I'm more optimistic about the   Sonax BSD, but of course I shall remain impartial when it comes to the test.  After initial application I will do some observations at defined intervals up to say a 3 month period.

Generally I'm not averse to spray sealants and sometimes use DJ Red Mist on top of wax or Chemical Guys Speed Wipe QD as a drying aid.  But I've always felt they detract from the warmth and glow that you get with wax as the last stage.

Roll on spring, eh!

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #177 on: 07 December 2015, 19:02 »
Are you intending doing the teat on the R or your hubbies VW ? also did you get the detail done on it ?and does it look good ?

I'll be doing the sealant test on the R. Probably at Easter when the weather is better (hopefully) and I have some time off work.

I haven't had time to fully detail the Amarok yet. Finding it difficult to find time to even clean my R at the moment, never mind the massive truck, lol.  And as my other half keeps taking it to be cleaned down at the local supermarket, I'm thinking it's pointless polishing it only for them to inflict more swirls on it.  Despite that I would like to at least get some protection on it, so will use a spray sealant on it when time permits.  I am shocked at how dirty it gets in such a short time, but then other half doesn't avoid puddles etc the way I do in my R, lol.

So the R will be the guinea pig.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #178 on: 09 December 2015, 14:39 »
The old girl was looking quite dirty (for me) so whilst it was dry today I gave her a nice wash, dry, leather seats cleaned, inside cleaned, vac'd and cleaned the windows :whistle:

Looking fresh

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #179 on: 09 December 2015, 17:03 »
^^

That's better. :cool:  Looks very smart, I love a monochrome GTI. Mk6 is a great looking car IMO.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual