Author Topic: Chewing through passenger side driveshafts like mad!  (Read 1647 times)

Offline LeeOxley

• Not said much yet
Chewing through passenger side driveshafts like mad!
« on: 23 January 2016, 02:41 »
About a month or two ago my 1.6L 1999 Mk4 sheared the bolts of the original left side driveshaft. Replaced this and went on my way. Then a few days later I started to get a massive wobble when turning right. Few days after that the gaitor on the inside of the shaft (up against the gearbox) split and the ball bearings went everywhere. Replaced that and a few dyas later it did it again. This time, I took the car to VW and they checked it all out without a driveshaft in, I then fitted another new shaft and then took it back to VW to be checked again. Still apparently nothing wrong. All this happened after having a new gearbox fitted.

Tonight however something different happened. I was driving dead straight at about 50 and I started to hear a loud tapping noise. Faster I went the faster the noise. Im having massive gearstick wobble all the time and the car is horrific to drive. Very loud banging coming from front left... I can only assume the driveshaft randomly started to hit something.

What I want to know is. WHAT IS CAUSING ALL THIS? How can it be fixed? Should I just scrap the car as I'm sick of its sh!t???!
Thanks

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Chewing through passenger side driveshafts like mad!
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2016, 17:41 »
A few things can cause this...alignment is might be out...shaft might be bent...wrong shaft fitted...engine mounts might be askew or badly worn, allowing movement. All these things need to be checked.

I'm in the process of getting new driveshafts for my Mk4 and I'm surprised to learn just how many variatons exist out there...a couple of millimetres, in any direction can make a world of difference.

Don't give up and never give in!!!!
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Chewing through passenger side driveshafts like mad!
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2016, 18:00 »
Just going to add a bit more to my previous post.

Some years ago I had a Peugeot 406 hdi and it developed a similar problem...no one could find the reason.

After a lot of phaffing about, it was discovered (at MOT time) that the bushes in the lower wishbones were seriously worn, allowing lateral movement...every time I went over a bump or uneven surface, the driveshafts were being pulled out of the place they were designed to stay in. Apparently the 'end float' measurement is pretty critical, but a rebushing exercise took place and the problem vanished!

I hope all this helps you get rid of the problem....something to look at anyway.  :smiley:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.