Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529280 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #350 on: 12 March 2016, 22:42 »
Looks like you've done a great job there Dave!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #351 on: 13 March 2016, 07:47 »
2 Hours per wheel, that's serious dedication!
Don't think I could be arsed spending 8 hours cleaning my wheels.
That's 2 days of window cleaning for me :laugh:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #352 on: 13 March 2016, 13:56 »
Fantastic job Dave! Results well worth the effort put in! Gtechniq C5 is brilliant and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #353 on: 13 March 2016, 16:53 »
Started training my daughter.........

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #354 on: 13 March 2016, 19:22 »
Nice one :smiley:
It's never too early to get them detailing
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #355 on: 13 March 2016, 19:42 »
Not been on here for a few weeks as I've had quite a lot going on, including a 500 mle round trip back down to yorkshire, however, it hasn't stopped me keeping the car relatively clean!
As I needed more snow foam, I have bought a few new products as well from CYC recently so have been giving them a try:

Dodo Juice Orange Plush Drying towel
Poorboys SSR 2.5
Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick detailer

Also bought another scratch shield for my wheel bucket, and 5ltr valet pro advanced snow foam.

Last weekend on Saturday I gave the car a full wash (snow foam, wheels 2 bucket wash) and dry. Apologies to Neil and the wo-wo people, but the new towel I got is superior to the wo-wo one in both size and amount of water it soaks up. Have been struggling to dry the whole car with the wo-wo towel, but with the dodo juice one its no problem! The wo-wo towel is great for quick detailer though and still love the wo-wo alloy towel.

On Monday and Tuesday I took all the wheels off 1 by 1 and polished them using poorboys ssr 2.5, paying particular attention to the mirror finish parts, and then applied gtechniq C5 wheel armour. Took me about 2hrs per wheel as there were quite a few small scratches not visible unless up close. I was very pleased as I managed to make the big scratch (see pic below) all but dissapear using ssr 2.5 and a lot of elbow grease - thanks again to Rebecca for advising I might get this out by hand. I managed to get most of the other noticable scratches out. However, my arm and shoulder was knackerd after finishing on tuesday, so if I ever have to do more polishing, I will have to invest in a DA.

On wednesday I tried out the quick detailer and was pretty amazed at the results. I chose that one because it had good reviews and also said it works particularly well on red (and black) cars, and can be used in direct sunlight.

Some before pics and duing wheel cleaning. Didn't take any after pics as the car was spotless when I'd done, and also ran out of time.

dirty sides... back was even worse!

Put the spare on as I don't have axle stands just incase something happened to the jack...

cleaned each wheel with VP bilberry wheel cleaner before polishing and applying C5.

The scratch is gone! :smile:

A good bit of beading the morning after using the quick detailer...

Looks a terrific job Dave.  Glad to hear the SSR brought out the alloy scratches, but agree it's very hard work by hand. It's an expensive initial outlay but a DA makes like so much easier and would cut the time down considerably.

It may have taken a long time but the car looks fantastic.  Love the bonnet beading shot.  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #356 on: 13 March 2016, 19:45 »

Ah, lovely.  Has she discovered the fun of snow foam yet?  My daughter likes to spray the car with it.  She disappears when the hard works begins.  :whistle:  Nice to see there's a new generation of girl detailers on the horizon.  :cool:

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #357 on: 13 March 2016, 19:45 »
Finally got off my lazy arse and cleaned the interior. 

Full interior clean using:

Poorboy's Natural Look Trim dressing for all plastic interior trim.
Gliptone Leather Cleaner, followed by Gliptone Leather Conditioner for all leather
Gtechniq G6 Perfect Glass - for all internal glass.
Metrovac Vac n Blo hoover of all carpets and mats and all nooks and crevices
WoWo microfibre cloths
WoWo Glass cloths
DoDo Juice Fantastic Fur buffing cloths

All looking good again and smells great, but let down by the minging exterior of the car (a month since last wash) but that will be remedied tomorrow!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #358 on: 13 March 2016, 20:00 »

Ah, lovely.  Has she discovered the fun of snow foam yet?  My daughter likes to spray the car with it.  She disappears when the hard works begins.  :whistle:  Nice to see there's a new generation of girl detailers on the horizon.  :cool:

She thinks it looked like yoghurt  :grin: :grin: and then tried to eat it......  :lipsrsealed: :whistle: :laugh:

She only helped with spraying the car; disappeared back into the garden to play in the sandpit when the hard work started  :rolleyes: :grin

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #359 on: 13 March 2016, 20:10 »

She thinks it looked like yoghurt  :grin: :grin: and then tried to eat it......  :lipsrsealed: :whistle: :laugh:

She only helped with spraying the car; disappeared back into the garden to play in the sandpit when the hard work started  :rolleyes: :grin

:grin: Yummy!

She sounds like a smart little girl to me - getting out when the going get tough.  :cool:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual