Author Topic: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO  (Read 419464 times)

kells

F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO
« on: 13 March 2008, 23:32 »
Thought i may aswell start one of these threads seen as everyone else has them on going....better late than never i guess :grin:

I wont go into everything iv done to date as ill be here all week and im sure u cant be arsed to read that much....

most of this is from previous threads of mine so some of you will have seen parts of this already..

i want to keep this car looking original, (seen as my other car has almost every mod going) i also think the MK 3 looks at its best in OE looking form

only big thing i intend to do is the 20VT engine swap.

a few pics here after its first clean when i took over ownership, only additions here were new numberplates and a black rear VW badge.

I had a job on fixing all the bits that didnt work, New sunroof was first on the list, then i fitted a simple but affective sound system (a must in my line of work :cool:), Alpine HU (of course!) Rainbow Germanline Comonents up front, focal Coax in the back, A Focal 10 inch sub box lives in the boot and its all currently powered by a pheonix Gold amp... it sounds great.

Added a genuine VR deep splitter to the front and i also eventually sourced some Hella smoked twin headlights and had some covers sprayed black to match the car..

i then gave the engine a K&N induction kit as for some strange reason my car was terrible in first gear (very jumpy and stalled easy)
the K&N induction kit amazingly solved this :cool:. Didn’t like the crap mounting kit that came with it so I manufactured one out of 304 stainless and polished it up…as you do :tongue:

i then set about giving the grotty unloved and never cleaned engine a good clean, this is still a on going process but we are getting their..when i got the car, the engine was probably one of the most dirty and stained bays i have ever seen...it was sooooo bad. :rolleyes:

next up the dash needed a update, i wanted rid of all the green lighting that comes as standard

Got these clocks instead of the standard blacks, these are the genuine anniversary units

These will be subject to some major reworking of the green lighting they have as standard (see results below)

Heater controls / rear heated screen switch

Rear ashtray, first pic is of it unlit, and as its so hard to see what the hell is going on in the second pic of it, the light goes under the white dot, and basically illuminates this and a panel that lights the inside of the ashtray

Electric Window and Electric mirror switch

]

Sunroof switch, i had to take this with flash on as they are so bright it just looks like a dot if not hahah :grin:

Needed to remove the Green leds from the mileages and clock displays

The late style clocks including my anniversay items dont have the push/twist fit user replacable bulbs like the early ones do, i nhave had to totally desolder the entire clocks, which take s a long time and nerves of steel  :laugh:

the MAF/Mileage displays are lit not by bulbs and green filters but by CHIP LEDS

The illusive Chip Leds can be seen here, iv put these next to my keys just so you can see how tiny these are... you need a steady hand to work with these, they are plasic so burn if the soldering iron touch them..so go steady

the chip leds are vitually impossible to find, but i did and i soldered them back in place of the old ones (Not easy to do haha)

We are now BLUE, but as you can see they are so bright i cant get focus at all, trust me these are bright as hell and look amazing and super clear to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  well worth the hard work

here they are using the flash, you can still see how blue they are with the flash on

cant get focus on the displays at all, this is with them dimmed a little too, you cant see the mileage and time on the pics but can in person, they are superb

Took this with the flash turned on just so you can see the displays better

Red headlight switch :)

my original sunroof toggle switch i changed to red is now put aside

coz at the mo im rocking the later type Button switch (thanx to the salvage mk 4 clocks for the red chip leds)
these use the exact same type chip leds as the ones iv used in the LCD displays, i had to use red warning ones out of some mk 4 clocks i got hold of :) and then do some serious de soldering

Lookin good :

I next had to change the ignition switch, was a pain in the ass to do, took 3 days to drill off the coller on top of the steering coloum :angry:

soon after the Jamex coilovers were on along with new rear brake discs, pads and calipers due to a siezed one that caused me no end of bother

I also added the HID kit to the headlights, these are bloody great in the hella projectors to say the least  :wink:

Here is how it stands at the mo

(front tyre here is spare alloy i have with a 205 tyre as i got a puncture on my regular wheel, rest are all switched to 195's as they look a hell of alot better)

« Last Edit: 14 June 2011, 10:32 by Rhyso »

kells

Re: KELLS, BLACK OE+ G3 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2008, 23:40 »
forgot to metion above, now have a Magnex twin round to fit, and also iv sourced a brand new set of Anniversary smoked fron fogs and indicators etc (thanx to my mate at the main dealers in leeds) and also soem genuie VAG smoked side repeaters which look alot better than the clears.

will post up pics soon

Offline RiCHiE360

• I live here
Re: KELLS, BLACK OE+ EARLY G3 GTI
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2008, 23:53 »
About time too mate...

Car looks as good as ever  :cool:

Roofless VR6 FTW

kells

« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2008, 00:04 »
About time too mate...

Car looks as good as ever  :cool:

:cool: cheers dude! :wink:

i have a few other bits to add over the next week or so, so ill just keep updating with pics and so on...

when i think about it its took a lot to get it looking how it does, from having the paintless dent removal (89 dints in total) right through to simple things like having to replace the stolen end caps from the side skirts... :angry:

kells

« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2008, 00:20 »
looking mint as ever fella!   :cool:

good write up!  :afro:

nice one guy thanx  :wink:, had to keep the write up to a minimum, as i said before its amazing just how many small jobs you have to do to get it up to scratch, iv done a bout 100 times as many things to the car to what iv written about, would be more than likely be too boring for joe public to read about tho hahaha :rolleyes: :lipsrsealed: :smug: :grin:

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2008, 00:29 »
looking good mate.

your dials and interior lights look sweet  :cool:

Offline remapped

• I live here
  • If you are going through Hell, keep going
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2008, 00:42 »
have to say again nice one for that CLEAN engine bay,
OEM(ish) G3GTi 8v5dr

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2008, 11:16 »
that is actually my favorite mk3  :drool:

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2008, 11:37 »
Mine too!! :grin:

Kells, what do the Ani fogs look like? How are they different?

Really need to get the cockpit sorted with Red LED's!!
2016 GOLF GTD

kells

« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2008, 12:14 »
rich89gti and 88mph thanx alot, means more than u realise to hear things like that :wink:

the annie fogs look very good, ill get some pics up soon as i can matey...im pleased with them, they are expnsive at 90 quid each (just for the fogs) i got them with 40% off tho as i have a good thing going on at the dealers :wink:
i got the annie indicators for a bargain 1 quid but the tow eye cover reflectors cost me 25 quid as thats what they cost VW bleieve it or not...

as said before i also got some genuine VAG side repeaters in smoked also, looks loads better :)