Author Topic: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread  (Read 777534 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« on: 07 October 2013, 16:46 »
OK guys, in response to some asking for me to start a new thread (mods, please feel free to move if better positioned elsewhere), I'll kick the ball off with my VCDS thread.

Firstly, what is VCDS
VCDS is a software diagnosis package for VAG cars developed by a company called Ross Tech. The software was previously known as VAG-COM, but had to be changed for legal reasons. The software ONLY works with a compatible cable which plugs into the diagnostic port underneath the drivers side dash and enables fault code reading, coding and changes, service resets, tweaks, data logging etc, for all cars supported by your chosen Cable / Software package. It is basically a duplication of the dealers official VAS tablet hardware.

Cables and Software
Basically the genuine Ross Tech cable has a hardware dongle built into the diagnostic port end, that automatically licences the software installed on a Windows based laptop (sorry no mac yet). Currently 2 main cable types are available:
Micro-CAN and HEX-USB+CAN (the latter of which I have).
The difference between the 2 cables is that the former can only be used on cars which utilize the CAN networking system (so basically MK5 Golf onwards), where as the HEX-USB+CAN, also does the the CAN based cars but is also fully backwards compatible with older cars using a single K-line or K plus L

The latest official software from Ross Tech (which I am using) is Version 12.12.0, (non beta). It's only the Version 12 software sets (beta of otherwise), that have any sort of MK7 MQB support, although it's still in it's infancy, with a lot of modules not yet documented, but they are coming through slowly. VW changed the Networking protocols on the MK7 so the earlier versions of the software won't work with the MK7.

Be warned, whilst immensely useful, the cables packages are not cheap and start at a few hundred pounds. There are a few Chinese knock off's off Ebay but these are not recommended and are based around very old software and can't be guaranteed to work with the MK7. Cables can be purchased directly from Ross Tech in the States, or from their UK distributor - Gendan Limited (where mine came from a couple of years ago).

That's the basics out of the way, so I would suggest following posts only contain VCDS tweaks and modifications known to work.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: 07 October 2013, 16:48 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2013, 16:47 »
OK so first post for Coding (as earlier posted).

Did a bit of digging around with VCDS, and enabled a few options. Most are in German from the adaptation channel labels, so I need to brush up on my German, but did find a couple of interesting bits.

Enabled a hidden menu in the MFD to show the amount of fuel (in Gallons) used since the last fill up (seems to be to the nearest Gallon), but thought it was cool anyway:

IMG_1151 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

For those that want to enable this:
Select  [17] Instruments
Long Coding - (Function 07)
Go to Byte 10
Enable bit 4

That's it.

Also, from the central electronics module, i've added rain closing for the windows, and use of front fogs (as well as the DRL's) as Coming home and leaving home. Look well cool.

These can just be enabled from the adaptation channels drop down. Note, that the central electronics menus is password locked, so you first need to go into Function 16 (Permissions), and enter the code 31347. This then gives you access to the central electronics menu.

I'll be deciphering a little bit more of the German text over the next few days and will have another play. What I really want to find is the following:

Alarm Chirp on lock.
Somehow getting the telephone contacts menu into the MFD.
Getting the climatronic settings to display momentarily on screen when something is adjusted (like the MK6 / Scirocco platform did.)
Getting the mirrors to fold and unfold with the keyfob (rather than ignition on).
Getting the coming home lights to activate automatically (rather than having to flash main beam).

Some or all of these may / may not be possible, but I guess as more people start playing around with the MK7, we'll get to know over the coming months. If I do manage to enable any of the above I let you all know, likewise if anyone else knows how to do any of the above just shout up.

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2013, 16:53 »
This I haven't personally tried but some guys over on the German forum have.

Disable Seatbelt Warning

Select STG 17 (instruments)
Adaptation Channels -> function 10
Select disable seatbelt warning (Gurtwarner deaktivieren)
change to "yes" (default: none)
« Last Edit: 07 October 2013, 16:54 by Norbreck21a »

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2013, 18:08 »
Will there be anyway to disable the iPhone music being played by default when you plug it into the media cable?

Offline Buddy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2013, 19:50 »
Norbreck, this is great, thanks for posting.
The mirrors unfolding / puddle lights with key fob would be cool. Also read recently that there was a vcds tweak on the mk6 that increased the XDS intervention to the more aggressive setting as found on the R. That would be awesome.

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2013, 19:54 »
Anyone in North London, Hertfordshire or Essex areas are welcome to come and try my Micro-CAN on their cars. All that I ask is that you bring your own laptop with VCDS 12.12.0 installed and ready to rock. Means you have a log of your own installation too. You can download this from RossTech:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2013, 19:54 »
Thanks very much too for this posting. Really useful Norbreck!
« Last Edit: 07 October 2013, 20:10 by DougL »

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2013, 19:45 »
Can someone with a Gti and vcds have a look at the xds settings, I remember on the FR's they were set to normal but On the Cupra's they were set to strong, it'd be the first thing I'd change
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2013, 20:01 »
Can someone with a Gti and vcds have a look at the xds settings, I remember on the FR's they were set to normal but On the Cupra's they were set to strong, it'd be the first thing I'd change

I can try in a couple of weeks when I should have mine. It's apparently on its way to the dealer.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2013, 20:18 »
Great info guys. I think most of us are desperate to know if you can activate the other DRL in the headlights like the R or if it's just not possible  :smiley: