Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529561 times)

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #50 on: 11 September 2015, 17:00 »
Thanks guys/girls! I applied SiRamik back in March time when it was 12 months old and it's still behaving like it was back then. It's been on my Wife's BMW 1-Series for over 12 months now and it's still protecting brilliantly. It's the best protection product I've ever used.
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #51 on: 13 September 2015, 20:59 »
Not exactly detailing but finally got around to ordering this today, in prep for the arrival of the R.  Hopefully no more water spots on a black car.

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care-exterior/wash/400-litre-0ppm-car-washing-filter/

Will report back on it once I've had chance to try it, for anyone that might be interested.  No point in trying it out on my current Audi hire car as it's white.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #52 on: 13 September 2015, 21:30 »
Blimey! It's amazing what you can get! I'm new to all this technical car washing malarkey, just trusted my last car to those hard working chaps at Tesco. I've ordered lots of excitingly named products from recommendations on here, some still to arrive, and look forward to giving my car a damn good clean this week! Not sure about this though, £100 seems a lot, I do though live in a hard water area so perhaps it could be worthwhile, I'll review it once the car has been cleaned a few times.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #53 on: 13 September 2015, 21:53 »
Blimey! It's amazing what you can get! I'm new to all this technical car washing malarkey, just trusted my last car to those hard working chaps at Tesco. I've ordered lots of excitingly named products from recommendations on here, some still to arrive, and look forward to giving my car a damn good clean this week! Not sure about this though, £100 seems a lot, I do though live in a hard water area so perhaps it could be worthwhile, I'll review it once the car has been cleaned a few times.

£100 does sound a lot, but if you break it down over the course of a year, it's not so bad.  You only use it for the final rinse and can get 60-80 rinses out of it, before having to buy a resin refill @ £45. 
Probably not worth it for some colours of car but if you have all of the following to contend with:  Very hard water area + black car + driveway in sunlight - it's worth it IMO.  I've struggled with water spots for years, they are very hard to remove even through polishing.  And this is my hobby so worth the investment on both counts.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with your new detailing goodies on your new GTI, and don't forget to post some pics up.  Tornado Red looks fantastic when clean and shiny.  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #54 on: 13 September 2015, 22:51 »
I think I'm just reeling from the cost of it all - previous costs of an occasional bottle of shampoo, a sponge, some cloths, wax and a chamois haven't prepared me for the wallet busting week of furious ordering I've just had! Definitely agree on the hobby aspect, £100 in those terms is very good. In my (currently temporarily suspended) running habit, £100 was regularly spent on replacement shoes, then race entries, physio, technical clothing etc so completely get that.

Did notice water spots on my old Audi which was black, hopefully the red of my Golf will be better. It just amazes me at the moment the variety of things to consider in an activity I'd previously never worried about! I'll definitely get some pictures once I get going. And (having seen your posts on another thread) congrats on your imminent arrival!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #55 on: 13 September 2015, 23:03 »
Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the R.

It depends how far you want to take this car cleaning/detailing malarkey, lol.  You shouldn't be worrying about it though, otherwise it will just become an expensive chore.  Instead start get the basics right (good cleaning regime, adequate protection etc) and build up from there.  There's a bewildering array of detailing stuff out there, it can be bamboozling, but you don't have to go all out straight off.  I do understand though, and if you are anything like me, and throw yourself totally into your hobbies, then it does get expensive and full on.  But I love it!

Btw, very nice write up of your early thoughts on your new GTI in the mk7 section.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #56 on: 13 September 2015, 23:39 »
Cheers Booth.

I'm possibly a bit lazy to get really absorbed in detailing, but I've enjoyed the shopping! I do want my car to look great but once the initial excitement wears off? I may surprise myself yet, certainly looking forward to having a go once all the kit has arrived. I need to find something to occupy myself with until I can get running again, perhaps this will be it?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #57 on: 26 September 2015, 17:22 »
Finally got all my new washing kit today! Will give the car a wash another day but with the limited time spare today I gave the wheels a good going over. Two good soaks with Valetpro Bilberry, a good rub around with a Wo-Wo wheel cleaning mit, a wipe around with a microfibre cloth followed by a buff-up with a second cloth resulted in a fair bit of skin missing from my right hand! Wheels do look much better, not perfect but the intention is sometime over the next couple of weeks to take them off the car and give them a thorough clean and protect.

Can anyone recommend an easy to apply tyre cleaner?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 26 September 2015, 18:58 »
I love Meguairs Endurance Tyre gel, apply a bit with a sponge and you're good to go. Lot of people on her fans of Quartz though that I haven't used.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #59 on: 26 September 2015, 21:14 »
I love Meguairs Endurance Tyre gel, apply a bit with a sponge and you're good to go. Lot of people on her fans of Quartz though that I haven't used.

Megs Endurance Tyre Gel - very good.  Quarts Tyre Dressing - better.  :cool:

Very nice job Watts.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual