Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529912 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #130 on: 05 November 2015, 18:59 »
Ooo the responsibility that comes with being a mod!  :tongue:

Yeah I've had a gentle scrub with the leather brush I bought from Polished Bliss but I still think they could be better. Definitely better than they were but I want to get them as good as I can before applying the Gyeon Leather Coat I've bought.

I have a lot of respect for Larry Kosilla at Ammo NYC and watch his videos on a regular basis but his more aggressive leather cleaning techniques look just that, a bit aggressive! Still he is an experienced pro and maybe gentle use of a scrub pad is what I need!  :huh:
https://youtu.be/R0EOb2nEWtk

I know, the power eh.  :laugh:

I agree, I think the older more supple, worn-in leather can take, and needs a more aggressive approach. I can see that giving the surface a scrub would lift the 'nap' so to speak and eliminate some of the shine. Not sure you'll ever get rid of it completely though as that is part of how leather ages.

If you've got a good video to work off, that's great (not had chance to watch it yet but will), and I'm sure he knows what the leather can take.  Just be extra careful if you've got any areas that look close to splitting.  On my Mk6 there was an area on the seam of the (door) side bolster of the driver's seat that I thought I'd caught with a buckle or something.  On much closer inspection I realised it had just split in 3 little lines with age.  So avoid being aggressive around the seans and where the stitching is.

Let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2015, 19:01 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #131 on: 13 November 2015, 18:17 »
Much needed maintenance wash on fiancee's Fiesta today, weather has been prohibitive to cleaning it before now and as she works 7 days a week pretty much it's been hard to find the time before now. Anyway on to the pics:

My first time looking after a white car and it's only actually now that I can really see the difference that using some pre-wash and a brush along panel lines etc makes. Don't do this on the Fiesta and the dirt in the recesses sticks out like a sore thumb. So I like the fact it's teaching me haha! Also laughed when I saw the nose of my car in the last pic like 'give me some attention please!'.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #132 on: 13 November 2015, 19:38 »
Really nice job there Dan.  The Fiesta looks great.  Lovely reflections.  :cool:

Yeah, don't leave your GTI out!  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #133 on: 13 November 2015, 21:49 »
Don't worry the GTi will get more than it's fair share of love soon! Only a few miles away from having done 30,000 miles in it since I bought it last Feb now and it's been the best time I've had in a car yet! It deserves some reward for that so hoping to find time during the week for a seats out interior clean and I've got rear discs and pads to do so some arch cleaning may be involved too  :tongue:

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #134 on: 14 November 2015, 08:51 »
I'm a huge fan of the new Fiesta. My son has one in red and they are a superb car to drive and look fantastic as well. Well done Ford.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #135 on: 14 November 2015, 10:37 »
I'm a huge fan of the new Fiesta. My son has one in red and they are a superb car to drive and look fantastic as well. Well done Ford.

Yeah we've only had this one a few weeks but it really is a cracking little car!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #136 on: 15 November 2015, 15:11 »
Always entertaining snow foaming in high winds.  Had to point the lance in the opposite direction to where I wanted the snow foam to go in order to get it on the car.   :laugh:

Cleaned inside and out.  No doubt the shininess will be very short-lived.

Also fitted my door sill protectors.

« Last Edit: 15 November 2015, 15:13 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #137 on: 15 November 2015, 15:18 »
Yeah the wind has been pretty crazy this weekend!

Only two pics after a full outside and inside clean, gotta say I'm disappointed Bec!  :tongue: The R looks absolutely fantastic, even if it is a short lived shine! There's great depth to that paint! Any top up of protection or was it just a maintenance wash?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #138 on: 15 November 2015, 15:34 »
Yeah the wind has been pretty crazy this weekend!

Only two pics after a full outside and inside clean, gotta say I'm disappointed Bec!  :tongue: The R looks absolutely fantastic, even if it is a short lived shine! There's great depth to that paint! Any top up of protection or was it just a maintenance wash?

LOL.

I really wanted to get another coat of wax on it but didn't get time so just a maintenance wash today.  The paint is nowhere near deep enough yet for my liking. Needs another 2 coats of wax yet.  Work in progress!

Thoroughly cleaned the inside though too. And yes only a couple of pics because I was too busy doing these (not strictly detailing but they require a very clean surface before applying, so detailing related sort of, lol):

Passenger side front and rear

Driver side front and rear

« Last Edit: 15 November 2015, 15:36 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #139 on: 15 November 2015, 15:47 »
These things are always a work in progress lol! I have a list as long as my arm for mine :) Sill protectors look great, same brand as your Mk6 ones correct?