Author Topic: Insurance claim - or not  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Brads MK2 GTI

• Here all the time
Re: Insurance claim - or not
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2012, 08:42 »
Any more on this guys? I've got the claim on hold at the minute, it's at a garage to check for chassis damage at the minute.

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2012, 17:39 »
Any more on this guys? I've got the claim on hold at the minute, it's at a garage to check for chassis damage at the minute.

I don't understand you not wanting to claim! if you dont make a claim, then who is going to pay for the repair, I'm puzzled!

Thom

Offline Brads MK2 GTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2012, 18:42 »
Well as soon as I make a claim it gets written off, cat c or d as the cost will outweigh the value or they'll struggle getting parts. It's going to need new bumpers front and rear, slam panel, lights, grill and bonnet. So if there's no bent chassis I'm thinking of buying the parts myself and fixing it, rather than all the agro of it being written off, having to buy it back then going through a VOSA station to get it back on the road. Joys of these old cars, they'll never get repaired through insurance :-(

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2012, 09:11 »
Well as soon as I make a claim it gets written off, cat c or d as the cost will outweigh the value or they'll struggle getting parts. It's going to need new bumpers front and rear, slam panel, lights, grill and bonnet. So if there's no bent chassis I'm thinking of buying the parts myself and fixing it, rather than all the agro of it being written off, having to buy it back then going through a VOSA station to get it back on the road. Joys of these old cars, they'll never get repaired through insurance :-(

What is your excess?

Thom

Offline Brads MK2 GTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2012, 09:16 »
£250 I believe. Rock and a hard place really, if it's chassis damaged then no worries, write off and pocket the cash. But if it is just the parts I identified then it'll seem a shame for it to be wrote off and me end up with not much cash and either having to buy it back and all the hassle or find another decent MK2 for the right money. Plus I've had her about 8 or 9 years now!

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2012, 09:47 »
£250 excess + I'd say £100 to buy it back, if they offered you anymore than a £1250 I'd snap their hands off, push a little more if its a minter, service bills etc
Best of luck :wink:

Thom

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #16 on: 25 September 2012, 11:20 »
Alright folks. I was involved in a four car pile up on a dual carriageway yesterday, was the third car from front so received front and rear damage. Now I called the insurance company to claim but so far have heard nothing back. Just looking for advice about what to do.

I'm fairly sure if I carry on with the claim the car will be written off due to age and value. It needs new bumpers front and back, new grill and lights, new bonnet, and new slam panel the grill bolts on to. Am I best to let them write it off as a C or D then buy back and get it on the road, or just cancel my claim and repair it myself? It's only bolt on parts after all.

The car at the back will be responsible for all damage to all of the cars... how will you get your money, if you don't claim?
Your car will be a write off, its the discretion of the insurance company whether they let you buy the salvage back!

Thom

As I understand it, the only one not to blame, is the driver at the front of the pile. In the eyes of the insurers at least. Ironic really, as it was probably his fault.

:smiley:
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline Brads MK2 GTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2012, 11:24 »
That's what I assumed as well?

Offline blueseamonkey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 25 September 2012, 11:27 »
Be careful with this. If the car is important to you I'd be very wary about making the claim. I tried to do what you are suggesting with my old Lotus Elan +2 - claim on insurance, then buy it back if it was a write-off. Trouble is the insurance company ignored my repeated requests to not scrap the car under any circumstances, (they'd taken the car away to assess the damage properly - or so they said.)
Turned out, they ignored me completely: scrapped the car, then tried to get away with offering me a tenth of the value. I wrote back saying I would complain to the insurance ombudsman and they finally offered me a decent amount for the car. No way though to get the car back, although apparently the agent dealing with my case was disciplined. My suspicion still is the car was "gifted" to someone along the insurance food chain, though I've no way to prove it.
If the car means a lot to you, ask them to do any assessment on your property, don't let it leave your sight until they have told you whether it will be written off or repaired.

Offline Brads MK2 GTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2012, 12:28 »
This is what I am thinking - if it has no structural damage I may well repair it myself instead of claiming - it's going to get written off as a C or D and will be a nightmare trying to buy it back and put it on the road. My excess is £250, with a bit of luck I can get most of the parts for that and fit them myself. Just wish I'd hear back about the chassis soon