Author Topic: Drilled air box  (Read 11121 times)

Offline black_vr6

• Not said much yet
Re: Drilled air box
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2003, 03:03 »
any performance air filter makes NO DIFFERENCE TO POWER .I HAve a vr6 and raced my m8 in a vr6 with a sporty filter.there was no difference at all .my advice is drill the fcuker and enjoy the note: 8)
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

mo3000

« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2003, 16:33 »
to 'mo3000',

it sounds to me like you dont have a clue what you're doing advising people on how to get more power !

so you're saying the only way to get more air in is by bigger throttle body ? - what a load of **** !

i'm telling you right now that modifying an original air box will make more power and i have the dyno print-outs to prove it !

and what does this bulls**t statement mean - "standard air intake is the same size as the outlet to the engine"

you need to do some homework you silly little kid. ha ha :D

lee - this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Sounds like concept is obviously proud of his skills with a hacksaw, but sadly has no concept of how an engine actually works.

Do you know what a thottle body does? Obviuosly not.

The throttle body controls the amount of air that enters the engine. So no matter how much air you can get into your precious filter box, it has to pass through the throttle body in order to enter the engine. if you take of the air inlet pipe just before the throttle body you will see that the total area of the two throotle butterflys is already smaller than that of the air inlet pipe, so in order to get more air past the throttle butterflys you can do one of two things.

1) pressure charge it, (turbo, Supercharger etc) therefore forcing the air through the buterflys. This is the pricinple (although it is obviously not as powerful as a turbo or supercharger!) behind  mounting the air inlet pipe to the filter box as close to the front of the car as possible so that the 'Ram-air' affect of the car moving foward pushes the air into the engine.

or

2. Make the throttle body, (and the butterflys) bigger. This means there is less resistance to the air flow so you can get more air into the engine.

Oh and by the way.

You will find that i do know what i am talking about as i Have a degree in Engine Design and did one of my project on pressure charging, (getting air into engines..... 'Numb nut').

I hope this clears up any confusion over 18 year olds waving daddy's hacksaw around yelling ' I'm gonna stick some 12mm Ignition leads on it........ you know i might gain 500bhp!'

T**t.

I rest my case.
;)

Offline harr1s

• Not said much yet
  • mk1 caddy and mk2 gti owner
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2003, 21:51 »
 seems like lee and his drilled air box is causing a bit of a stir.
 But ive got to say im with mo3000 on this one after speaking to various volks perfomance garages such as tsr and the like. it seems that a drilled air box might only have gains of 2-3 bhp at the very most which isnt much. the only way to get big power gains is wtih the likes of a turbo, suppercharger,throttle boddies or incressed engine size .

maybe concept ought to find out who hes talking to before he starts shouting his mouth off after all this is only a forum on a web site theres nothing to prove to anyone. its here for poeple to chat about there cars and offer advice and tips or ideas. chill out people......

Harr1s...............

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 28 April 2003, 01:30 »
Its seems to have divided a lot of people this one but here I will speak from personal experience and say that drilling the air box on my car ('91 16V) made it feel more responsive and is more fun to drive. And now speaking from my background I will say that drilling the air box as such will not improve the performance fiqures of an engine because you would still be restricted by the paper filter. drilling the airbox and then also fitting a performance air filter will increase air flow and will also stop the depression that happens inside the filter box when the throttle is opened. combine this with a polish and ported head and sports exhaust and the basic laws of physics dictate that the more air flow/fuel vapour into and out of an engine the more power it will produce.
   Also the "ram air" effect that routing a hose to the front grill is minimal and all normally aspirated engines work under atmospheric pressure so you wouldn't gain any increase in power from this. The amount of air entering a cylinder is determined by the stroke of the piston so the only way to increase power in this scenerio would be to employ forced induction.

Offline concept

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 28 April 2003, 16:06 »
hello all,

this has been an amusing debate!  i should point out that this all started on advice on air filters!  i offered my advice - and thanks to those who backed me up.

it is possible to modify an original air box to make more power than a k&n induction kit, that was my point !

mo3000 came in with his strange statements along with saying i was an ex nova driver, and then talking about pressure charging and his degree (yawn yawn).

i suggest he has more respect for others and not just think cos he has a degree that he's right and others are wrong.

i know a lot about two-stroke and four-stroke engine rebuilding and tuning, and disagreed with his comments.

also i'd like to add that i'm not 18, i have two tool boxes full of a huge variety of quality tools, and my car has standard leads.

:)
mk3 8v 140bhp

mo3000

« Reply #15 on: 28 April 2003, 20:14 »
Standard leads eh?......... what about splitfire plugs then?

Only messing!!

Anyway, i'm sorry you took offense to the Nova joke, I must have touched a nerve there and offer my appologies.

I see your after ways of making you Mk3 quicker?

What state of tune is your head at?
It seems that you have done the relavent cam work and altered the mixture to suit, It only seems the right thing to start messing around with head?

;)

Offline concept

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 28 April 2003, 22:54 »
hello mo3000, i see you know what you're talking about so i take back my comment!

have you done any tweeking on mk3 8v gti?

obviously not the quickest gti they have ever made so its limited. i have looked into going for turbo using cross flow head off the mk4 with a t/d exhaust manifold but after reading about problems people have had setting them up - i won't bother.

on my car, the exhaust is good - stock manifold, cat replacement, straight through powerflow.   head - kent cam and pulley set on dyno, no porting done.  intake - well you know what i've done !!!

i've also made a custom mod for the intake manifold.  have run it and feels good but dyno will give me figures.  on the air flow meter i've removed the wire mesh at the front beore the sensor and that was a good gain!  i want to fit a better intake pipe from meter to throttle body as stock looks restrictive.

what are your comments? no turbo - no nitro - just improving what's there
mk3 8v 140bhp

lee

« Reply #17 on: 28 April 2003, 23:13 »
Well, I know I wanted some opinions but I didn't think I was gonna start a war!

'mo3000' - I can see why Concept took offence to the nova & kid comment you made in your earlier post, to be honest I found it offensive and not the sort of response I had ever received off this website in the past. It surprised me and to be frank p***ed me off. Like he said, even people without degrees do have brains and know their stuff, and I will also clarify that I was once 18, erm..10 years ago! I'm not exactly a spring chicken, just new to Golfs. Thats why this website is a useful resource to me. Anyway, thanks for your advice and comments.

'concept' - Thanks for your advice, I am gonna drill the fcuker, I want the sound, and whether I gain or lose or nothing happens to the power, it should sound meaty. :)
If I get a bit more power then thats cool. If not, well, it's not gonna leave me out of pocket. Cheers mate.

To everyone else - cheers boys, certainly made interesting reading! :)

Cheers

Lee

:)

Offline 87_PROJECT

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2003, 13:25 »
HEHEHE!!!

That was a funny post!!!

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2003, 16:28 »
Lee,
I may be coming along to GTI International afterall, I'll know for sure this evening.
Shall I bring the drilled airbox with me?
How did you get on with your cambelt?