Author Topic: HOW TO: Change your instrument cluster light's  (Read 13733 times)

Offline forzanerazzurri

• Not said much yet
HOW TO: Change your instrument cluster light's
« on: 25 June 2004, 07:09 »
my instrument cluster light just went on the left side and i was wonderign the procedure on how to change it.  do i have to take the whole dash offf????
« Last Edit: 27 September 2005, 10:26 by Mk2GTI2.016v »
'85 MK2 GTI BIGBUMPERS NeuspeedTurbo/SportSprings,Lowered 2"on15" BBSw/NittoTyres, PortPolish, Bored, 16VThrottleBody, NeuspeedShortShift, DubspeedBigBoreIntake, SwayBar, Racing

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re:instrument cluster light
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2004, 09:25 »
If I were you I'd replace both bulbs while you're there. (3 bulbs if you have a digital clock/MFA):

Take your radio out, pull the heater sliders and fan switch off (They'll probably real tight but just pull hard)  Then pull the heater panel off, the fan switch will slide upwards and unclip.
Pull out all the switches/blanks and make a note where they came from.  You don't have to remove the steering wheel but it helps if you do.

Now you should be able to see all the screws holding the dash surround on, there's 2 above the clocks, 2 behind the heater pannel, one at the far right behind the headlamp switch, one behind one of the dash blanks and one above the radio.  I think thats all of them but you should be able to see for yourself.

Pull the surround away carefully, unhooking the handbrake warning light as you do so, you should now be able to get at your dash clocks.  Theres a screw either side, onece removed you should be able to unhook it from the support bracket, if you let it drop down a bit you might have enough room to get your hand behind to do the dash bulbs.

If you cant reach or want to take the clocks out so you can replace them, fit a dial kit etc then remove the dash under tray so you can get to the plug(s) at the bottom, if you have the hazard switch on the dash you have 2 plugs, if its above the steering column you have 1.  
Last of all, reach round the back of the clocks (I find it easier to reach round from the left, behind the support bracket) and detatch the speedo cable.  It will probably be as tight as feck and you'll have a right job getting it off.  Now you should be able to pull the clocks out, if the wheel is still on tilt the top of the clocks towards you and they should slide out to the left.

Just go slow and keep at it, make sure you step back and have a cup of tea/coffee when you start feeling the need to empty a can of petrol through the window and put a match to it :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2004, 13:23 »
nice write up mate :)
once I have built up the enthusiasm I will attack my dash!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2004, 14:59 »
No probs, hope you get it sorted!  :)

kniterider

« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2004, 23:14 »
yeah a bit of a fiddely job, i did this on my old 8v a both lamps were out, managed to do the above task just make sure you get the right bulbs!!! (i managed to glue in some slighly different ones that i got (from a non vw) but did the job still!!

Gaz 8)

Offline dubslug

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2004, 19:31 »
the bulbs aint expensive from vw anyway and u no ur getting the right ones, halfords bulbs dont fit  >:(

1992 pearl grey 8v

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2004, 11:09 »
I got some LED replacements from http://www.ultraleds.com.  That way I know they arn't going to blow again any time soon [:)]

Offline dubslug

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2004, 17:15 »
u got the model number u used as led sound like a good idea

1992 pearl grey 8v

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2004, 18:34 »
I used this type:
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=302&osCsid=7618ad79dc5206d365c0017268ffdd72

But they dont fit quite right, you might have to mod them, a bit.  I found that there's 2 plastic 'lugs' which only allow the bulb to twist so far, I cut these off and then I was good to go.  They're still a bit stiff but just go steady and you'll get there in the end.

The MFA came up a bit dull so I went back to the original bulb, the problem with LEDs is they are directional and since there's no direct path for the light through the LCD it doesn't work too well.  Blue lighting with green MFA looks pretty cool tho so I'm not too bothered.  I didn't take out the green filter either, they still come up blue but not quite as bright so I would do so if I were you.

The other thing to remember is that LEDs only work 1 way round unlike bulbs so test them before you put your dash back together!  ;D

Finally, a piccy:

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2004, 19:03 »
halfords bulbs do fit just solder them into the holder. my vw ones were soldered in anyway. this job i reckon should take about an hour to an hour and a half, its not hard at all just a bit fiddly. the hardest bit is geting the speedo cable off and on cos it is very tight but there is a lug you depress and it should release it.