Author Topic: Car Tracker Advice  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Arrius

• Not said much yet
Car Tracker Advice
« on: 21 January 2019, 13:08 »
I did a search but couldn't find an up-to-date topic about tracking devices so as I said in another topic, I will be buying a MK7 real soon.

I live in a high-theft area so I am concerned about security and I am going to get a tracker fitted as soon as I get my keys.

Do you have any recommendation for me? I am doing my research at the moment and I will be asking for brands, models etc.

If you are using any, what brand do you use, what are the prices etc.

Thanks in advance.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Car Tracker Advice
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2019, 13:31 »
Personally I go with the theory that prevention is better than cure. I also wouldn't want it back if it got stolen.

With that in mind, to deter the thieves who don't want confrontation then a Disklok is a must, and if you have Keyless then you'll want a faraday pouch to stop the 'relay theft' thieves: http://amzn.to/2v3HTN2

It's not widely advertised/known, but you can switch the keyless function off. Lock the car with the fob, then within 5 seconds press the keyless button/sensor on the door handle. That switches off the keyless-entry system until the next time you unlock the car with the fob. Perfect for when leaving the car overnight or if in a particularly vulnerable place.

One thing people forget is their house is also a target, so get any Euro locks replaced with anti-snap locks, get sash-jammers if you have sash windows etc etc.

IMO, trackers are pointless unless a) the insurance company insist on one and/or b) it's installed in an unknown place. However due to there being very limited places to install, they tend to be found very quickly and ripped out. If it's not needed by your insurance company then I wouldn't bother.

Some people say the Ghost is a good alternative, but I've read stories about Ghosts kicking in and the owner being dragged outside for the code.

A lot will also depend on your personal circumstances. For example if you have kids you'll not want thieves coming in the house, whereas you might be a bit more relaxed about that risk if you live on your own.

Remember though, if they REALLY want it they will take it whatever you do, so your choices should be made based on your approach to risk.

HTH  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline DTX3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2019, 13:41 »
As mentioned, Disklok is a must!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2019, 13:43 »
I don't see how disklok helps really when today's thieves need your keys.... where is the disklok key going to be? Yes, you could hide it up your dog's bottom, but most will put it on their car keys...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2019, 13:45 »
I don't see how disklok helps really when today's thieves need your keys.... where is the disklok key going to be? Yes, you could hide it up your dog's bottom, but most will put it on their car keys...
I can't speak for others, but my Disklok key doesn't live with my car key, it's totally separate.

Today's thieves don't 100% need keys either, they can 'relay' or 'hijack' signals very easily, so a Disklok stops them driving away in both this instances.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2019, 13:47 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Arrius

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2019, 14:06 »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will definitely check out Disklok, in the meantime, I found a local company called Rewire Security.

https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/db1-gps-tracker-telematics-device - This one caught my eye and it has a lot of excellent reviews. Has any of you used their products? I was also looking for something affordable and its price is acceptable for me.

Thoughts?

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2019, 14:41 »
Check out Global Telemetrics - I can immobilise my car from anywhere in the world - can’t be started with a key - also a very clever tracker.
And I’ve got a Disklock and telescopic bollard on the drive - so not much more I can do apart from pray🤞
« Last Edit: 21 January 2019, 14:45 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2019, 15:14 »
https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/db1-gps-tracker-telematics-device - This one caught my eye and it has a lot of excellent reviews. Has any of you used their products? I was also looking for something affordable and its price is acceptable for me.

Thoughts?
The problem with GPS trackers is they are easily blocked with a £10 gadget that plugs into the cigarette lighter. If you want a good tracker you need to be looking at Cat5+ trackers which are VHF/GSM/GPS.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2019, 15:32 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2019, 15:58 »
Signal jammers (GPS/GSM/radio) are readily used by car crims. Keep it fully emcon'ed up until you reach an metal box when you have time to rip it apart and look for tracking/immobilizing devices.

Simple enough to jam those signals over a short range (ie a car) with a ciggy lighter powered circuit board.

The idea that car thieves these days are low tech bandits is far from the truth. If they are stealing modern cars then they need a whole pile of gadgets to pull it off. If you think such people must be a tiny amount too then you are also wrong - no modern car gets stolen without this kind of tech and still very few are ever recovered...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2019, 18:56 »
Are you guys using a Disclock on NON keyless entry cars too ?

I was worried about getting keyless as I’ve had a previous car stolen using the OBD port but thought a normal key entry / ignition should be fine - I did look at getting a Disclock but sometimes take the one off my toy if going somewhere I’m not too happy about parking.

Never keep the car key and Disclock key together - pretty pointless imho.

Cheers