Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169205 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2019, 06:46 »
Bad photoshop render yet again. The new Mk8 will look like a blend of the new Polo mixed with Touareg in terms of creases and new design language. Looking forward to see what they come up with.

I’ve been out the GTI game for a few years. Enjoying life in rear wheel drive land. Does anyone know rough timelines for next gen Mk8 GTI and R launch?
« Last Edit: 13 January 2019, 06:53 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2019, 12:53 »
Bad photoshop render yet again. The new Mk8 will look like a blend of the new Polo mixed with Touareg in terms of creases and new design language. Looking forward to see what they come up with.

I’ve been out the GTI game for a few years. Enjoying life in rear wheel drive land. Does anyone know rough timelines for next gen Mk8 GTI and R launch?

Should get a look at the MK8 GTI and R by the end of this year along with technical details. Talk of being able to order at same time or beginning of 2020. But with a new model and given its going hybrid with all the complexities that comes with it, I would avoid the first year of production until they iron out any issues.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2019, 17:07 »
AFAIK the Mk7 R was not available for 1 year. Unless it’s different this time, we won’t see it in the UK until 2021.

New engine, suspension and haldex 4WD will need more time to test and tune.

It is widely expected that the R will get a good power upgrade. I’d expect 350 bhp minimum 😎

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2019, 17:11 »
That’s why I just bought a mk 7.5 now rather than wait for the new one. Could be waiting years! Plus it’ll probably be 5% wider, 10% longer and 20% more expensive if current trends are anything to go by.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2019, 19:39 »
Not sure how accurate this is, but what on earth have they done to it?!

https://youtu.be/R021Dx9oIJw

That’s absolutely hideous. Glad I ordered the mk 7.5!

All subjective but I totally disagree. Love the chunky shape of the golf except the front end on the performance models. It's just not aggressive enough, not enough like the front grill on the Audi A3/s3.
The front grill is much more imposing on that mk8. I really hope it turns out like that.
Also, would fully expect the mk8 Gti to go to 300 BHP and R to be nearing 400 BHP. 260 is only 15 BHP more than the current PP GTI. I would expect a much bigger jump than that with 48V Hybrid.
Sadly, I reckon they'll be a price hike too to go with it.
Hopefully, we'll start to see some concrete details soon. I don't expect to see MK8 GTIs or Rs in people's driveways till Autumn 2020 though. :sad:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2019, 09:25 »
It's already been hinted that GTI will be around 260/265bhp. No way will they jump it up to 300bhp for the std GTI.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2019, 21:41 »
... No way will they jump it up to 300bhp for the std GTI.

… unless they make it a hybrid, but I doubt that.

Even with a hybrid - under WLTP, it will be a balance of power vs economy = small power increase for GTI.

Being the ultimate/flagship model - fuel economy is less important with the Golf R.

Do they need to increase the Golf R/Audi S3 power that much? Or keep the RS3 as the ultimate VAG hot hatch?

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2019, 22:28 »
I would imagine going by the mk7 pp which had 230 and then the mid life crisis model with 245 that a modest increase to 265 maybe even 280 for the mk8 GTi. 300 would be nice but then the R will need about 350 to make it that bit different. I think people saying the R will have 400hp are wide of the mark, could be wrong though  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2019, 09:07 »
... No way will they jump it up to 300bhp for the std GTI.

… unless they make it a hybrid, but I doubt that.

Even with a hybrid - under WLTP, it will be a balance of power vs economy = small power increase for GTI.

Being the ultimate/flagship model - fuel economy is less important with the Golf R.

Do they need to increase the Golf R/Audi S3 power that much? Or keep the RS3 as the ultimate VAG hot hatch?

It's already pretty much confirmed in every news article that the GTI will be using hybrid:

On top of the usual emphasis on fuel saving, the new tech will also benefit the next GTI and R models as they turn to electrification to push the boundaries of hot hatch performance.

The core of this new performance will be the adoption of a new 48V hybrid system. As well as supporting fuel-saving technology such as engine-off coasting and an integrated starter-motor and generator, the 48V system will also allow VW to develop electrically driven turbochargers to improve performance on models such as the GTI and R. Unlike a number of its rivals, Volkswagen will offer its next Golf as both three- and five-door options, as well as an estate, while the GTI’s classic red design clues and understated looks should also remain intact.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2019, 10:14 »
I came to the conclusion (perhaps wrongly) that any new GTI will be based on the Skoda Vision RS concept they released details back in October. So circa 250bhp, 1.5 engine etc etc.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.