Author Topic: New member with some questions  (Read 2101 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: New member with some questions
« Reply #10 on: 01 August 2023, 21:36 »
Hi stubobby. I’ve got a set of hardly used Winter Wheels and Tyres ai could be persuaded to sell to a good home
Awesome - can you PM me the details and what you want for them?

@DSGboy and @stubobby; You need to increase you post count to 10 before you can send / receive PM’s
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2023, 00:23 »
Think need 10+ posts before the PM system can be accessed.

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2023, 08:47 »

My Winter set up on 2019 R;
AC Hockenhein 8.5” wide 18” et45 wheels x 5 very strong and lightweight at 9.5kg.
Continental Wintercontact TS850P 235:40:18

Offline stubobby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2023, 11:22 »
Will need to get my posts up then :)

To answer some of the points and feel free to discuss.

having had (and still own) BMWs in the past i have always been a huge fan of winter tyres they are great things and my BMW went so many places a little fwd fiesta ST would even dream of (on fat summers). anyone who is unsure there are plenty of videos that show a 2wd car with winters going up a ski slope vs a 4wd with summers and the winters win time and again.

in terms of wheels - I have always tried to get steel wheels as they are usually smaller and as such you get a narrower tyre with a higher profile, which again is the better choice for winter driving. the exception to this is I had style 27s on a 328i sport cause i inherited them complete with avon winters and I got BMW style 66 on an e39 cause i got a great deal on ebay and had them powder coated.

other cars, VW touran/seat/SAAB have just had steel wheels with appropriately sized winter tyres.

So I am not concerned about the diamond coating as I would just get cheap painted alloys - but yes i agree with the point.

On that note - about the brakes - yes I am concerned 17" wheels wont fit over the front calipers. although MRWINTERWHEELS does quote 17" wheel for the car when selecting the GTI performance as a filter. I also got a very comprehensive reply from them when asking about tyre sizing.

Basically the website recommends 225/45/R17 - BUT a 205/50R17 is not only narrower for the advantage of winter driving but also closer to the 225/40/R18 in terms of rolling diameter. The answer came back validating my points and informing that information comes from the German TUV. Interesting stuff at least to me....

Again - thanks for the performance info - it might have to wait if I am in need of a clutch also.....

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2023, 12:04 »
Haha. My set up gives near identical Rolling diameter to 19” factory option alloys shod with 235:35 tyres.
It’s always best to do some careful and thorough checking when it comes to wheels & tyres so

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

always comes in handy.

Offline stubobby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 03 August 2023, 15:52 »
Haha. My set up gives near identical Rolling diameter to 19” factory option alloys shod with 235:35 tyres.
It’s always best to do some careful and thorough checking when it comes to wheels & tyres so

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

always comes in handy.

yeah used that site and many others - its not a surprise that its the same tbh because the rolling diameter should be as close as possible.... thats the whole idea so you dont affect steering or gearing....

heres something interesting and really geeky.....

VW touran - summer wheels - 215/55R17 - circumference = 82.6"
                  winter wheels - 205/60R16 - circumference = 80.7" - effectively gearing the car down (i think) and meaning you go "slower" cause you cover less liner distance for the same rpm??? TBD....

here is the thing that i find interesting - i was told thats the size recommended by the german TUV - and i'm busy thinking thats strange cause its quite far away and you can get closer with a 205/65R16 - .... but heres the rub....

I have an SEL family and the 17" wheel is the option - if you look at the standard car it is in fact a 16" wheel with a 205/60R16 and it is in fact VW that "pushed" the sizes apart by fitting a 215/55......

so - interesting for me - but i'm sad... :)

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2023, 16:27 »
Yeah I get the idea of smaller rims and skinny tyres for extreme conditions, but not sure how often these occur.  The thing that limits once Full Winter tyres are fitted is ground clearance, which won’t alter much if Rolling diameter is largely maintained.

Maybe a 4x4 with Winters is the best bet if you live in an area where extreme conditions prevail in the winter months.

Offline stubobby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 03 August 2023, 16:28 »

My Winter set up on 2019 R;
AC Hockenhein 8.5” wide 18” et45 wheels x 5 very strong and lightweight at 9.5kg.
Continental Wintercontact TS850P 235:40:18

thanks for the offer, i do appreciate it it would depend on what you wanted for them - but that would give me 2 sets of 18s and I would prefer, if i can, to try and get 17s over the brakes.....

Does anyone know how to ensure fitment - e.g. if it clears the caliper and spins its ok?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2023, 19:23 »

Does anyone know how to ensure fitment - e.g. if it clears the caliper and spins its ok?

Stick to a minimum of 7.5” wide, make sure the backs of the spokes are a fairly flat design and between ET 40 to ET51 offset.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2023, 19:25 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner