Author Topic: tornado pink help required  (Read 2986 times)

Offline TS

• Just got here
tornado pink help required
« on: 12 November 2018, 17:28 »
Well 50 shades of grey really😂 I'll get some photos up in the morning.
The history is its a genuine 56k car no rot at all but the paint is badly faded the owner says he hasn't washed it since 2012 😒.
What id like to know is what steps would you take to take the paint work. I don't want to inflict more damage. Would you clay etc? I can see no lacquer peel or paint damage other than the fade. I don't think it requires wet sanding. I have DAS 6 pro which I'm confident in using.
I get photos tomorrow morning.
Thanks in advance
Tracey

Offline TS

• Just got here
Re: tornado pink help required
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2018, 17:38 »
It's a 1991 mk2 gti btw

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2018, 10:15 »
full de-con
clay
then polish
wax
sorted  :grin:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2018, 13:02 »
I once T-cutted a really faded red Seat and it came up great!  :grin:

But sound like you need to wash and decontaminate, then get your polisher out. Then seal with a nice wax or ceramic sealant to keep it looking great.

Might be worth checking before you polish for paint depth to see if its had paint or just visually checking as things like smart repairs can cause problems when machine polishing. But in essence you don't take much off when polishing so should come up nice without too much effort.

Need to get some pics up though! Postimage.cc is best to use.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline TS

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2018, 12:43 »
Thanks for the replies, I've got some photos i just need to find out how to post them up!
It's never had a respray and i cant see any repairs to it.
I think it'll look great...when not pink 😂 

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2018, 12:09 »
Stay away from the T-Cut. It doesn't break down in the way that other polishes/compounds do. Whilst it is agressive and will cut through the faded paint, it remains harsh, therefore inflicting maring on the refined paint that you have exposed under the faded layer.  The better polishes loose their 'cut' as you work them and eventually leave a haze that will lightly buff off.

Poorboys Natty's Paste Red Wax gives excellent results on TR paint.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline TS

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2018, 13:37 »
Thanks, i wouldn't ever use t-cut the smell pits me off for starters. Thanks for the tip on the natties paste I'll get some of that.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2018, 14:59 »
Stay away from the T-Cut. It doesn't break down in the way that other polishes/compounds do. Whilst it is agressive and will cut through the faded paint, it remains harsh, therefore inflicting maring on the refined paint that you have exposed under the faded layer.  The better polishes loose their 'cut' as you work them and eventually leave a haze that will lightly buff off.

Poorboys Natty's Paste Red Wax gives excellent results on TR paint.

I wasn’t a serious suggestion hence the  :grin: emoji  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey