Author Topic: HOW TO: Change your FRONT top mounts  (Read 63465 times)

Offline search

• I live here
Re: HOW TO: Change your FRONT top mounts
« Reply #20 on: 11 June 2012, 21:22 »
Just a pointer. You don't need to take the strut off to change them Ans ruin you wheel alignment. Also the way you have the bearing on is wrong. You should put the bearing on, then the top mount. Then there is a special nut that holds the top mount onto the bearing and also holds the spring down. The top mount shouldn't just come off.

Then goes the top cap once you fit it back into the structure housing and the top nut.

Its a common mistake that people make with coilovers because they don't come with instructions.

You can fit top mounts without removing strut especially on coilover due there not being much force on the spring. Also negates the use of spring compressors. You can use a trolley jack to raise the wishbone to compress the spring whilst you remove the top mount nut. Then let the lack down, remove mount and bearing. Then replace.

I've done it many times like this but may not be as simple if you have standard shocks and springs.
This sounds quite easy like this so do I use a normal jack the a trolley jack?? When the wishbone is jacked up should the top nut just undo?? I am stumped :s

Note: me searching lol.

Basically i need to change the rubber cap as mine have warn out but bearing is fine, am i right in thinking i can just jack my car up put it on axle stands take the top bolt off then put my arm up in the wheel arch and take the rubber cap off and replace it? (skipping the trolley jack on wishbone part as i'm not changing the bearing) with out having to take out my whole suspension and messing my Wheel alignment up? if so result as just got the alignment and cambers done.
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 11 June 2012, 21:25 »
Well in theory that should work, could get a bit fidaly tho
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #22 on: 11 June 2012, 21:29 »
Rubber cap? You mean the top mount? No you still need the jack on the wishbone. The top mount is held in by the nut.

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline search

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 11 June 2012, 21:30 »
Well in theory that should work, could get a bit fidaly tho

Thanks don't mind fidaly as long as  i dont mess my alignment up lol. fingers cross it don't rail. car making a clonking noise and i was to see if its that rubber cap thing warn out. before i go messing with anything else. Thanks for fast response.
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline search

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 11 June 2012, 21:33 »
Rubber cap? You mean the top mount? No you still need the jack on the wishbone. The top mount is held in by the nut.

i though top mount were under the Rubber cap but people just call the rubber cap top mounts.. anyways the top mount (rubber caps) just slide of i believe you only need to compress the strut if your replacing the bearing? as thats why you undo the bolt to get to the bearing? (well thats how it is on my original suspension) different on coilovers?
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 11 June 2012, 21:39 »

i though top mount were under the Rubber cap but people just call the rubber cap top mounts.. anyways the top mount (rubber caps) just slide of i believe you only need to compress the strut if your replacing the bearing? as thats why you undo the bolt to get to the bearing? (well thats how it is on my original suspension) different on coilovers?

That must be because you have put them back on wrong! The top mount should be held on securely with a special nut.

Offline search

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 11 June 2012, 21:42 »

That must be because you have put them back on wrong! The top mount should be held on securely with a special nut.

oh right but they were original suspension in my shed that iv not done anything to, just back a few pages on this says the top mounts slide of so i went and tried and sure enough they do. well confused now lol.
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 11 June 2012, 21:46 »
And that's because most people put them on wrong.  :wink:
RULE:Top mount is held on with a special shaped nut. Not a normal nut. Otherwise it just slips off and it shouldn't.

Offline search

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 11 June 2012, 21:49 »
And that's because most people put them on wrong.  :wink:
RULE:Top mount is held on with a special shaped nut. Not a normal nut. Otherwise it just slips off and it shouldn't.

ah i see now, just got the other one and yeah it wont come off by pulling it. thanks saved me from messing up there.

any idea if i go to a garage and ask them to change my top mounts they will put the cambers how there meant to be or will they charge extra for that?
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 11 June 2012, 22:21 »
They could probably do it if it's done how I explained. Use the nuts off the other struts when it goes back together.