Author Topic: Component or Co-Axial?  (Read 6666 times)

Offline dubslug

• I live here
Re: Component or Co-Axial?
« Reply #40 on: 30 December 2007, 18:49 »
dash are 3.5inch if i recall correctly....
i have mounted tweeters where dash speakers just made brackets up, not to hard really

1992 pearl grey 8v

Offline BSCR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #41 on: 30 December 2007, 18:58 »
Am i just being dim not noticing dash speakers in mine? or if i have door pockets do i not have dash speakers?

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #42 on: 30 December 2007, 22:13 »
Id put something in the back. My mates got 2 door speakers in the front of his car and a sub in the boot. The sub drains out all the music when in the back so you can't hear anything but bass :sad: Might be what some people like but i prefer to hear the song with added bass than just bass :smiley:

I drive from the front  :wink: Thats the trick to it all

Offline Heyho

• Here all the time
« Reply #43 on: 31 December 2007, 19:44 »
Am i just being dim not noticing dash speakers in mine? or if i have door pockets do i not have dash speakers?

Maybe you are mistaking them for heater vents - look at the base of your "A" pillars. :wink:

Putting the tweets in the dash speaker location hides them well, but IMHO, isn't the best for SQ - the reflection off of the screen can make some tweeters sound harsh.  Better on mirror backs, angled towards opposite side headrest.

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #44 on: 09 January 2008, 11:49 »
Every mark 2 Golf has speakers in the dash. Some as part of the orginal component set and some as the only speaker. In mine the centre has been cut out and the rest used as a mount to house the new tweeters.

I know what you mean about the rear speakers. I've done a ton of sound proofing in the boot and have tried it with front components and a rea sub and the same with rear speakers. Everytime I've found it sounds better and more equal with the extra rear speakers. With 13cm front components and the rear sub, to me it sounded as if just the trebl and bass were coming from the front and just the bass from the back. With the rear speakers it sounds like it's more around you and not separated!

I've had some top quality 13cm Boston acoustics front components for sale for a while now at £60 (less than half they cost me) and they sound a lot better than the usual Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine speakers that everyone goes for because that's all they have heard of. They pick up a lot more detail too. Usually in hi-fi gear it's the makes that you haven't heard of that give the better sound. Ask any audio shop that knows thei stuff. Not heard anything bad about them yet. Some of the best makes of speakers are: Focal, Rainbow, Hertz, Boston acoustics and DLS.

Also got a new Phoenix Gold mono amp and a mint Kenwood 7031 CD headunit if anyones interested?!
« Last Edit: 09 January 2008, 12:15 by Dubster2 »