Author Topic: Installing sub & amp into a MK3 - suggestions?  (Read 9401 times)

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
Re: Installing sub & amp into a MK3 - suggestions?
« Reply #40 on: 03 February 2009, 21:36 »
going down the self fibreglass and mdf route mesen this weekend  :laugh:

Cool! Keep us posted & let us know how it turns out (any tips! :afro:)!

2016 GOLF GTD

Offline markc123

• Not said much yet
  • Mk3 8v Gti.
« Reply #41 on: 04 February 2009, 22:48 »
Re the fuses - I always fuse at the battery end with whatever the fuse value is on the amp....

Get my MK3 tomo so should put the wiring in at least this weekend. Got 2x10" in current car, but that might kill the boot space in the golf, so 1x10 seems a decent compromise.

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 04 February 2009, 23:11 »
Put about a million strips of velcro on the bottom of my sub earlier to try and hold it in place :laugh:

Might just buy loads and loads of it and put strips the whole way along the bottom! Might be overkill really and make it a mission to take out :laugh:

Offline markc123

• Not said much yet
  • Mk3 8v Gti.
« Reply #43 on: 05 February 2009, 12:44 »
I usually take the boot carpet out and use it for a template for a piece of MDF or chipboard. Screw the sub to that and it'll stay put. I had to cut the install out of my saxo after i got rear ended by a coach - seeing that the sub stayed put (while the chassis bent) http://www.mcroston.co.uk/images/saxobroke.jpg convinced me to stick with this.

Of course if the sub is close to or touching the rear seats then its safe enough anyway.

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 05 February 2009, 13:37 »
One down, hundreds more to go.. :laugh:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #45 on: 05 February 2009, 20:12 »
im going to do a boot build at some point, but i got a lot more to think about first :laugh:

when i do it, im going to fibreglass the left and right sides and build a false floor. i will keep my subs in the double box. and build the build around it. subs sounds good already and i dont want to mess around with the box volumes, so thats why im not going to put them in the sides. not sure what the sound would be, as the bass wouldnt be going in the right direction ??

the pics posted on page 3 are kinda like what i want to do. still gives you boot space (i dont use the boot anyway) and looks really tidy.

LL ;)

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #46 on: 05 February 2009, 22:29 »
I need to use my boot...so I'm going to build a box which gives me plenty of space (just need to think of some idea's first)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 06 February 2009, 07:53 »
Its a mission to get into my boot so I dont really use it tbh. Will be when I drive to surrey tomorrow but only bother on long trips!

Offline ToRo

• I live here
  • Just because I won't - doesn't mean I can't.
« Reply #48 on: 06 February 2009, 08:43 »
My missus dad works in fibreglass, so I'll be asking him to draw up a mould for me, one either side of the boot and amp in the middle with access to spare wheel still though :)