Author Topic: Bought my first mk4 golf  (Read 53950 times)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Bought my first mk4 golf
« Reply #60 on: 14 April 2016, 14:41 »
Shouldnt do.
Its finding a rr thats calibrated regular I think.
Theres makes that are more accurate aswell.

Have a search local

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
« Reply #61 on: 15 April 2016, 16:52 »
Yeh found a couple with 'ok' reviews.

You know much about Black Smoke Remaps? £55 to go from my stock 150BHP to 182BHP, I know its a generic map so wont be the best, but for the money seems like a good start

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #62 on: 15 April 2016, 20:22 »
Is that a eBay map?
Generic maps have had loads of tine spent on them to make them how they are (normally)

When I was going to start remapping (buying maps off of my mate who has a remap company), he said not to touch eBay maps.

Im sure not all are just chucked together though.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #63 on: 15 April 2016, 20:32 »
Is that a eBay map?
Generic maps have had loads of tine spent on them to make them how they are (normally)

When I was going to start remapping (buying maps off of my mate who has a remap company), he said not to touch eBay maps.

Im sure not all are just chucked together though.

no not ebay, from http://blacksmoke.co.uk/ the look legit and all

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #64 on: 15 April 2016, 20:36 »
Generic maps get a bad rep but they all started out as one off custom maps.

Generic maps are those that are tried and tested and give you the best blend between performance, reliability and economy

Its the car and its components that are always the weak link and a remap will quickly find these

As said AVOID Ebay; you need to find a tuner who has expericence and a good reputation

Black Smoke maps are ok BUT you need to buy a Galleto cable and there is always the risk it will brick your ecu and turn your car into a very expensive brick  :whistle:

Tuners like myself use relaible equipment, that should anything go wrong, we have the ability to recover the ecu and get you going again  :smiley:

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #65 on: 15 April 2016, 20:40 »
Generic maps get a bad rep but they all started out as one off custom maps.

Generic maps are those that are tried and tested and give you the best blend between performance, reliability and economy

Its the car and its components that are always the weak link and a remap will quickly find these

As said AVOID Ebay; you need to find a tuner who has expericence and a good reputation

Black Smoke maps are ok BUT you need to buy a Galleto cable and there is always the risk it will brick your ecu and turn your car into a very expensive brick  :whistle:

Tuners like myself use relaible equipment, that should anything go wrong, we have the ability to recover the ecu and get you going again  :smiley:

was looking at the MMPS route as that seemed straight forward but was worried about bricking it. I would love to take it somewhere to get done, but £55 compared to £150+ (I know you get what you pay for) is a huge difference, and even then, from bits of reading around you cant always trust the tuners to give you a good map either. I know 9/10 will be excellent, but my luck I will take it to the 1/10 tuner that doesnt do a good job

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #66 on: 15 April 2016, 20:44 »
Research the tunners.
Carbon
Darkside development
Dervtech
Ryhso
Map-tech
R-tech

All know there stuff.
Choose whos closest, price affordability and go for it.
Doing it yourself leaves you f**ked. But if a tuner mucks it up atleast they have the know how to sort it. (ilunless you do then I retract what I have said)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #67 on: 15 April 2016, 20:46 »
By the time you've bought the map and the MMPS then you're not far off the price of an actual remap lol

Have a look at local forums and ask friends etc who have had their cars mapped for recommendations  :smiley:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #68 on: 15 April 2016, 20:47 »
Research the tunners.
Carbon
Darkside development
Dervtech
Ryhso
Map-tech
R-tech

All know there stuff.
Choose whos closest, price affordability and go for it.
Doing it yourself leaves you f**ked. But if a tuner mucks it up atleast they have the know how to sort it. (ilunless you do then I retract what I have said)

At least spell my name right FFS  :angry: :tongue: :grin:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #69 on: 15 April 2016, 20:48 »
Most important step is to get the car running right. Once it is then drive it for at least a month / 1000 miles to ensure your problems are ironed out  :smiley: