Author Topic: HOW TO: fit a walbro/ebay intank fuel pump  (Read 31835 times)

jamie16v

HOW TO: fit a walbro/ebay intank fuel pump
« on: 15 November 2011, 21:31 »
BEWARE, you will be working on the fuel system of the vehicle. as you know petrol is highly flammable and the fumes can overwhelm you. the fuel system is also pressurised. you do not want this penetrating your skin, eyes or any other orefice in that matter.. :shocked:
tools you will need are :
10mm spanner (to disconnect battery)
large philips screwdriver (to remove fuel pump cover)
stanley knife
torx set
flat blade screwdriver
old soldering iron (for plastic welding and soldering of course)
junior hacksaw (to cut tube on mesh filter)

1. Depressureise the fuel system by pulling the fuel pump fuse and start the engine, the engine will soon cut out, then
disconnect battery.
2. lift rear bench behind drivers seat and notice a flap in the carpet, lift it to expose the black cover.
3. remove the 3 screws, keep safe and remove cover plate.
4. remove the wiring plug from the top of the pump by pushing in the metal wire clip and pulling the plug.
5. note which pipe is flow and which is return and mark one so you know which is which.
6.remove the two pipes by pushing in a little tab on the side of the connector whilst pulling the pipe.
7. move pipes and wiring out of the way and undo the big black ring nut.
 the pump should now be carefuly removed and careful not to damage the fuel level float, also take note that the
pump will store alot of fuel so let it drain before removing fully.
8.once you have the pump out and on the bench you need to remove these four screws.

9. take the spade connectors off the top of the old pump and remove the one time pipe clips from the flow pipe.
10. the flow pipe may be a little stubborn, what i did was sliced down it with a stanley knife to
loosen it and remove.
11. next you need to separate the lid off the swirl pot and remove the pump, to do this you need to pry
these tabs all the way around the pot.

12. once the pot is off you will need to take the gauze off and cut the tube off, this will let the new fuel
pump sit lower in the pot.

13. now you will need to pastic weld a peice of solvent resistant plastic onto the bottom of the pot to cover
 the hole. i used an oil bottle top.

14, you will now need to drill a small 4mm hole in the bottom of the pot. this will allow the pump to fill
with fuel and is small enough to stop the pot from emptying too quickly when you corner ect. see the above pic
to see the drilled hole next to the plastic welding.
REFITTING
15. refit the gauze you took off to cut the tube off.
16. fit the rubber pipe that came with your new pump to the new pump and secure with supplied jubilee clip.
17. fit rubber covers to pump and slot into pot. fit filter.
18. plug the loom into the pump and refit the pot lid with the wires coming through the hole in the lid.
19. desolder the old (black and yellow) wires that go to the top assembly and fit your new spade connectors onto
the tabs. i soldered the spades onto the tabs to prevent any arcing. secure the wires neatly with a cable tie. (TAKE NOTE) the earth wire is on the rounded
side of the plug and the 12v on the opposite. see pic below.

20. fit the other end of the rubber pipe you have already connected to your pump to the top assemble that you removed
the old hose from and secure with jubilee clip.
21. fix the top assemply back to the swirl pot with the four screws you removed earlier.
22. fit pump assembly back to car in reversal from step 7 to step 2

if you spot any errors in this guide please let me know so i can correct it.

NOTE. this is to be used as a guide only, i will not be held responsible if you damage your car or any other property,
cause injury or death to yourself or anyone else.
this is a drawing i designed before doing the work
« Last Edit: 22 November 2011, 09:50 by jamie16v »

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
Re: HOW TO: fit a walbro/ebay intank fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2011, 22:21 »
Sticky material.
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

jamie16v

« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2011, 22:32 »

Offline harlemex

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2011, 15:02 »
well done jamie. Its nice when someone puts in the effort.  :cool:

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2011, 17:13 »
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

jamie16v

« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2011, 17:34 »
yay, i`m on the wall of fame.  :laugh:

jamie16v

« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2011, 09:51 »
i have edited this guide, fit the small bag filter if possible, then the gauze on the bottom wont need fitting..

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2011, 11:21 »
Printing this out now, BAM pump in today hopefully  :grin:

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2011, 12:19 »
HOW THE FCUK DO YOU GET PUMP BACK IN WITH THAT STUPID RUBBER SEAL THING!!! GRRRRRRR

jamie16v

« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2011, 21:56 »
iirc you fit the rubber to the tank first and not the pump itself.. cant really remember, try a few combinations, you`ll figure it in the end lol. it done my swede in for a couple of mins..