Author Topic: thinking of buying vr6  (Read 5225 times)

Offline j976rna

• Not said much yet
Re: thinking of buying vr6
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2011, 21:57 »
Now is agood time to buy one, as they are dirt cheap, because everyone wants fuel economy these days,have a test drive before you set your mind on one, as I drove my mates and I wasn't completely blown away by the performance, compared to a 16 valve and the running costs,they sound lovely though,

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2011, 22:39 »
Now is agood time to buy one, as they are dirt cheap, because everyone wants fuel economy these days,have a test drive before you set your mind on one, as I drove my mates and I wasn't completely blown away by the performance, compared to a 16 valve and the running costs,they sound lovely though,

Your telling me, have you seen how many R32s are up for sale atm :shocked:

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2011, 06:44 »
Buy a good 16v instead just as fast and cheaper to run..
Golf Gti

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2011, 08:42 »
Buy a good 16v instead just as fast and cheaper to run..

pa. I've had a 16v and my vr6 is much faster.
I would tell anyone to buy one over a 16v

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Malz0r

• Here all the time
  • Haters gunna hate.
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2011, 09:11 »
As above i own a Valver and a VR6 and my VR6 eats it all day!

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2011, 17:24 »
VR6 is the one to buy  :cool:
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

VW BUSH

« Reply #16 on: 27 April 2011, 18:41 »
+1 Prod underneath

Jacking points front and rear, VR6 is heavy + jacking points/jack are crap.
Rust around front supsension area, wish bone/ARB anchors.
Some bungs have been done, expect a few more.

good luck :smiley:

Offline jedimasterlewis666

• Not said much yet
  • VR6 Highline
« Reply #17 on: 28 April 2011, 12:39 »
got a highline  on original chains @ 148,000 on a obd1 and their not that noisy at all. i hear tappets on startup and the lifters are a little bit noisey, general rule change the oil twice a year/every 6000, do not thrash it from cold and you should be fine.
valvers are rev happy and feel quick  but vrs are too and are much quicker and sound loads better.
check jacking points, had my fronts done as mine were corroded to rusty mush, door sills and rear windscreen around boot lock common for rust also and bootom corners of doors.
a must is good tyres and suspension i'm running ap suspension kit 40/30mm drop. standard suspension well if you like the feeling of being tipped round corners is just pants.
do not use an induction kit unless you want abso crap mpg.
run the standard box drill a few holes wing side drop in piperx panel fiter smooth the box out take out the velocity stack and replace with a wider one. my v stack came from another gti box i think mk4 as has two peices of plastic which help direct the flow of air over the maf sensor. now i average 24mgg with a heavy foot. got a mate with a 3door version obd2 with induction kit with a heavy foot he averages 19/20mpg.

Offline jimmyb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 28 April 2011, 12:52 »
also check the abs light comes on and goes of as it should.(abs is a pain) good luck mate, hope its a good one,although for a little bit more money you would get one with leather etc ;)

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 28 April 2011, 14:01 »
When I bought my vr6 the abs light didn't come on at all. It should come on go out or stay on. took it down the road, tested the brakes and the abs works. It could just be a bulb so make sure you check if the abs works.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr