Author Topic: Warranties  (Read 1877 times)

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Warranties
« on: 01 January 2019, 11:54 »
Hi all,

I have a 2013 Gti PP which I bought from a private seller last year. After having just replaced a wheel bearing I'm wondering whether it's worth taking out a private warranty and wondered if anyone else has done the same? There's lots of companies out there offering warranties - maybe someone here has some advice or pointers?

It's not an old car as such but I'm aware that potentially there could be some reasonable sized bills around the corner (it's 5 years old and has 47k on it) and I'm wondering if it's smart to try and mitigate some of these future costs.

Thanks for any advice,

Greig
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Warranties
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2019, 11:59 »
Personally, for that age & mileage car, I wouldn’t bother. A decent & comprehensive warranty will cost you £500-750 a year so why not bank the cash each year into a pot and use that pot as a slush fund for when it’s needed?
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2019, 12:03 »
I'm having a play with a few of the main provider's website and it looks like you're right - it seems pretty pricey and lots of exclusions and room in the T&C's for them to wriggle out of paying for repairs...hmmmm
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2019, 12:18 »
I’m on the process of buying at 2014 dsg. Warranty direct comes in around £380 for the year. You also get £50 off via TopCashback.
I’ve used them for years claiming back around £4000-£5000 in repairs. They’ve always been fair.
Im looking at getting gap Insurance from them too.

Bit cheeky but if you do go for them, i get a voucher and so do you ! 😉😂

https://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/about-us/recommend-a-friend
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline aksimmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2019, 14:35 »
Tough call really as I have extended my warranty before (via Ford) at about £500 for 2 years.

1st time on an ST170 with 70k miles I used about £1000 of claims

2nd time with another car I didn't use it despite having over 100k miles on the car so I wasted the £500!

(though on average it works out cost neutral)

My 2016 VW GTI PP is now about to come out of warranty (March)  so I have the same dilemma !

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2019, 19:11 »
Still debating this. Keep my own slush fund, Warranty Direct (or similar) or use the VW official warranty scheme...hmmm
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Robo999

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2019, 19:23 »
It is worth looking at. My missus bought a polo gti on a 12 plate in 2017 from available car and opted to buy the 3rd party warranty they offer. It wont pay out for software updates and wear and tear. But its just shelled out £500 for a new alternator from a vw main dealer. So its just paid for itself twice over. Its a company called The Warranty Group. Might be worth a look.  :smiley:
Mk7 GTI Edition 40 Clubsport no. 53

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2019, 19:31 »
Still debating this. Keep my own slush fund, Warranty Direct (or similar) or use the VW official warranty scheme...hmmm

There seem to be a few good opportunities for a GTI to have expensive issues. I've priced up a VW warranty and roughly it was about £350 (although that was a while ago). Seemed good value and pretty comprehensive. One failed headlight unit would be a win straight away let alone a turbo, thermostat housing, waterpump, gearbox....

I suppose the other thing to consider if you go for it is do you want to be tied to VW for repairs? Having the flexibility to go to a trusted independent where they are less likely to damage your car has to be worthy of consideration.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2019, 09:36 »
Agree, hence looking at the likes of Warrantywise etc but there are lots of horror stories about them wriggling out of lots of things via small print. VW warranty seemed like a decent price, but yes then I'd be tied to VW for repairs rather than my trusted indy.

I'm not too worried about getting the cheapest warranty, but one that actually pays out and doesn't fight every claim tooth and nail would be nice...
« Last Edit: 12 January 2019, 09:40 by MrJollygood »
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S