Author Topic: Local Dealer Gripe  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Jamie-H

• Just got here
Local Dealer Gripe
« on: 08 April 2004, 16:14 »
Ordered my new MK V GT TDI on Tuesday, they gave me the showrom car which I am to pick up next week and they gave me the car's new registration number so I can arrange to get the car insured.

Just took the insurance certificate up to the dealer just now and I happened to mention that I may be interested in upgrading to 17" wheels.

I was told "It will cost you.", to which I said well in your price list brochure the cost to upgrade for a GT TDI is ?445. To which he replied:

"Nope, unless you ordered them factory fitted we can't do that for you.  You are looking at ?400 a wheel with tyres for the 17" alloys you want."

I find it incredible that they cant just take off the 16" wheels and replace them with 17" wheels then for me to pay the upgrade price just to keep me happy.

I have paid a ?500 deposit already and have insured the car under the car registration number they gave me.

Just think as a first time buyer of a VW they could have done something for me.  Basically they said what could they do with the 16" wheels they would be left with.  It would be better for you to sell them privately.

I hope this attitude of "tough, get on with it" from the dealer is not the normal you come to expect from VW.

I had that from Ford and Vauxhall in the past.  I guess I shouldnt hold my breath expecting any better from VW.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re:Local Dealer Gripe
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2004, 17:05 »
Shame you've already given the deposit because you could have said no and then gone to another dealership knowing what you know now.
......now officially dubless.

Offline Jamie-H

• Just got here
Re:Local Dealer Gripe
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2004, 17:09 »
Thats exactly what I am thinking. This experience has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.

They push you into signing on the dotted line so I wouldnt have to wait 10 weeks for a factory delivered car as this one was in the showroom and after thinking about it, I do now fancy 17" alloys on it.  However at ?1600, they can think again. Shame coz I wouldnt of minded paying the extra ?445 for them.

Offline umar

• Just got here
Re: Local Dealer Gripe
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2005, 09:36 »
Hey,

You just cant find good dealers these days. Which dealer did you go to?

Why dont you up grade your wheels to something different instead of OE. Try 18" or 19"

www.storm-eng.co.uk

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2005, 16:56 »
I hope this attitude of "tough, get on with it" from the dealer is not the normal you come to expect from VW.

sadly it is..
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline carrie

• Here all the time
  • i can see into your soul and its not good
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2005, 22:26 »

sadly it is..

that all i ever expect now when i deal with them, they dont care and they dont want to care. wait till your car i a few years old and they will care even less  :angry:

SAY YOU LOVE SATIN?, NO SATAN, ITS SATAN

Offline star65

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2005, 10:13 »
Local dealer pissed us off, too.

Son wanted a GTI, but couldn't afford, so settled for the GT TDI (with the bigger wheels).

As we can't leave things alone, the first mod I got him (new, off Ebay) was new rubbers for the clutch and brake pedal - the same nice alloy ones that are on the GTI and the TT.

He was offered £100-worth of goodies for ordering from that particular dealership, so chose the matching accelerator pedal (big, organ-type pedal).

They gave it him in a box, marked £55 + VAT, and that was it.  He thought it would be fitted, so when he enquired, they told him that would be an extra £80!!!!!!  :angry:  They said it was 'drive by wire' and would need specially setting up, as well as just fitting.  AFter some arguement, they finally agreed to do it for 'only £60'.

It's not a D-I-Y job, because it would apparently, cause a fault code to appear, even if hooked up properly, which would have to go on the diagnostic machine to get removed.

If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen (dealer, ripping you off!).