Author Topic: 'ikkle Help  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Esolece

• Just got here
'ikkle Help
« on: 19 April 2004, 20:51 »
Hi, i was driving past a garage this afternoon and since i'm on the look out for a new car i decided to look in.  Well worth it imo.

Golf GTi (84/b plate) for ?400 sitting at back of forecourt.  Having looked about the body work for a good 20 mins and looking at interior (through window, bloke who had keys was on lunch break typical!) The body work seems in great nick, except for the door sills which are rusted near the front wheel arch (Drivers side) and rear wheel are on passanger side sill.  I had a good poke and knock on other things (having hands like hammers is a benefit) and it all seemed solid except this rust on the sills.  Also the door decal glue was wearing away but after 20 years it's to be expected.  After pricing them for new panels and fitting it came to around ?70, (depending on version i think it's a Mk1 but bloke at body shop said might be an early mk2).

Since i've not heard the engine not had a good look at interior, i did notice the 81k on clock and no other visible exterior faults with the car.  Think it would be a good investment(?) once i've gone back and explored it some more with flash light and a mechanic mate of mine.

I am a student so i can't afford to spend fortunes on the car but i can afford certain things, and having been a fan of golfs and seeing this one there for with little exterior problems it kinda made my day, excuse the similie.  Think it's a worth while investment if the engine and interior body work is ok?  I've looked around and found some sites on what to look at for the bodywork and such.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2004, 20:54 by Esolece »

Offline dino

• GTI forum regular
Re:'ikkle Help
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2004, 09:05 »
If this car has service history and the mileage is accurate then it is worth  ?400.00 , check to see if its an 8 or 16 valve.

Your query on the Mk1 or Mk2 I don't understand, the Mk1 finished production in 84 when the Mk2 was introduced. The Mk2 is a much bigger car than the Mk1 , the difference should be very obvious.

Offline Esolece

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2004, 09:35 »
If this car has service history and the mileage is accurate then it is worth  ?400.00 , check to see if its an 8 or 16 valve.

Your query on the Mk1 or Mk2 I don't understand, the Mk1 finished production in 84 when the Mk2 was introduced. The Mk2 is a much bigger car than the Mk1 , the difference should be very obvious.

It's the 8v version.  I'm going back to look at it this morning sometime(depends when i get picked up) for history and stuff.  

Well the bloke who i went to see about sills had two entries for golfs in 84, the mk1 and mk2 as he has to order then in for me he needed to know if it's a mk1 or 2, i though it was a mk1 but he said some early mk2's are of the same body shape as the mk1 but with some new technology.

Are they expensive to maintain?  I don't want to be spending fortunes on it just to keep it on the road, i know i'll have to do some repairs as it's a 20 year old car, but will i have to repair it every week/month?
« Last Edit: 20 April 2004, 09:36 by Esolece »

Offline vixteris

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2004, 11:54 »
the mark 1 went upto B reg (1984).

The last ones to be manufactured were called campaigns - if it is a campaign it would be worth 600 just as a shell so buy it now! They didnt have new technology as such but had some slight differences like tinted windows and different alloys (more stuff but i cant remember it all) - these campaigns are highly desirable and would be a great investment.

check here to see if it is a campaign http://www.campaignregister.co.uk/index2.htm

The VW's seem to keep going strong aslong as they are looked after - if your willing to service it reguarly and give it lots of love the car will look after you.  Why do you think were all driving them  :P

ps:  if you dont buy this car let me know so that I can go have a look  ;)
« Last Edit: 20 April 2004, 11:57 by vixteris »

Offline 4eyes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2004, 21:34 »
mk.1 on a B reg. are you sure ? I bet my satsumas they stoped in the summer of `83
To much the magic bus

Offline Esolece

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2004, 22:16 »
mk.1 on a B reg. are you sure ? I bet my satsumas they stoped in the summer of `83

Thats what the bloke in body shop said.

Vicky it's in NorthEast england near Metrocentre.  It might be a campaign i'll have a good look when i get time, it should still be there as it's at very back or forecourt and not visible from the road has to be hunted for.

I didn't get back today as i had other stuff to do which is more important.  I'll probs get there tomorrow albeit uni work permitting.  However i've seen a mk2 with fsh that i could buy either.  As having time to spend on the car will become increasing difficult esp when i need to do uni work and get a summer job.

Offline vixteris

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2004, 23:10 »

well i didnt think so until i read this from the campaign register

1. The car should be an A-reg or later UK registration. All Y-reg cars have to have been manufactured before August 1983 so they should not be Campaign models. To confuse matters though, some A-reg cars may not be 'Campaigns' because they were manufactured before August 1983 but not sold until after the August 1983 registration change. However, some of these cars will have all the campaign features and may be regarded as 'Campaigns' for the purpose of the register.

i assume the piece that ive blocked means that those mark 1s sold after the august registration change were B reg????
what do u think?

Offline GT-Eye

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2004, 13:28 »
Sorry to be spotter, but the Mk1 was never on a B.  Unless I am very much mistaken B reg is Aug 84 - Aug 85.  The campaign register is right in saying some were reg after Aug 83, but this would only make them A plate.  I've got a A plate Mk1 1.1 C - not quite a campaign!

Not sure I would bother with the car in question if your worried about spending money on it and the state of the front sills. Mk2 GTI prices are rock bottom at the moment and I am sure you could find a pretty pukka mid 80's (pre-ECU) MK2 GTI for around ?800 which need no work.

Cheers
Make Mine a MK1

Offline drewwagar

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2004, 17:59 »
Drew from the Campaign Register here.

In answer to the above question... Yes you can get B-reg Mk1 Campaigns. You can also get A-reg Mk2 GTIs

The mk1 finished production in 1983, but it was actually quite a slow seller by that point due to the new Mk2 arriving. Many Mk1 Campaigns were not sold until the following year and a handful weren't sold until after August 1984, giving them B plates despite being almost a year old already. These cars were heavily discounted compared to the new Mk2 GTI then on sale.

Mk2s and Mk1s were actually being made side by side for a few months in Wolfsburg in late 1983. Mk2 GTIs went on sale in February 1984 on A-plates.

i though it was a mk1 but he said some early mk2's are of the same body shape as the mk1 but with some new technology.

::) Rubbish I'm afraid. The mk2 is a totally different car apart from the engine (and even that wasn't quite the same)

The car could be a mk1 or a mk2.

Easiest way to tell the difference between a mk1 and mk2 for a newbie is look at the rear. Golf GTI badge above the lights... it's a mk1, badge below the lights... it's a mk2. I suspect it is a mk2.

Once thing is for certain. It won't be a 16v.   ;)

A Mk1 (in good nick  ;D) looks like this....

Cheers,

Drew.

« Last Edit: 21 April 2004, 18:08 by drewwagar »

Got a Mk1 Golf GTI? Come to an exclusive meet! > http://www.campaignregister.co.uk

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2004, 18:35 »
Nice looking mk1 there, Drew. Is she yours?
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture