Author Topic: wheel bearings.  (Read 2800 times)

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
wheel bearings.
« on: 07 October 2006, 22:10 »
hi everybody
does anyone know how easy it is to change front wheel bearings on a mk4 golf 150pd and does anyone know how much this would cost to get fixed in a stealership?

Offline Lewy

• I live here
Re: wheel bearings.
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2006, 22:25 »
Not that easy at all unless you have access to a hydraulic press. I would charge about £50 a side as they can be a pain, but a dealership is a whole different level  :shocked:

Offline >>Mart<<

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2006, 13:31 »
i have a big press at work

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2006, 22:41 »
ha ha just checked warranty and this is covered so panick over.
didnt think this would be covered.cheers for help guys.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2006, 00:37 »
Surprised that you are looking at doing front wheel bearings already! Has it been driven hard? High mileage? Mine has done 155K and they are still ok, touch wood. 

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2006, 17:15 »
i was surprised too.
it was weird.i had my car in at garage to get gearbox fixed and when it came out it had this strange noise coming from it,so i took it back thinking it was the gearbox but the mechanic said it was the bearings.when he was putting it in nuatral the noise was still there so he said it couldnt be the gearbox,must be the bearings.the sound def wasnt there when i took it in when it was getting the gearbox fixed but was there when i picked it up.

the car hasnt been driven hard and its only done 50k.i dont understand it either.

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2006, 18:15 »
could it also be the drive shafts as i understand that they prob had to fiddle with these to remove the gearbox.

i could really do with some help on this issue because i know for certain that that noise wasnt there when i took it in originally and i really need to know what im talking about before i go back to garage with my case.

please please help!

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2006, 18:30 »
Was the noise there as soon as you drove away?
Not torqueing the drive shaft hub nut/bolt properly can cause the wheel bearing to prematurely wear. The driveshafts would need to have been removed in order to drop the gearbox.

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2006, 21:41 »
i never noticed it when i drove away but the sound was def there later on at night.i took it back next day and they said it was the bearings, but that was with out looking at it.the mechanic just took it for a run and said this was the problem.i didnt question it much because i didnt think taken the gear box out would effect this much but it seems it could be a possibility.i will take this to them and see what they say as this sound was def not there before i took it in.

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2006, 21:42 »
i never noticed it when i drove away but the sound was def there later on at night.i took it back next day and they said it was the bearings, but that was with out looking at it.the mechanic just took it for a run and said this was the problem.i didnt question it much because i didnt think taken the gear box out would effect this much but it seems it could be a possibility.i will take this to them and see what they say as this sound was def not there before i took it in.