Author Topic: Mk1 GTI Project underway.  (Read 16953 times)

Offline acma

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk1 GTI Project underway.
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2012, 13:08 »
This is the pass side after hours of flatting back with some lovely fine filler  :laugh:

This is the driver side, you'll note here I've ground off a couple of little unsightly bits to help smooth the suspension leg down.  I've also spent hours getting rid of that seam sealant stuff the put everywhere at the VW factory all those years ago.

Offline acma

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2012, 13:11 »
Well I got the blasted engine mounts back over the weekend, and to me they look gorgoues, ready for painting

I've decided to plug the original holes up where the loom came through,  I'm going to run the cables down the inner wing, given I'm going to be running carbs, I'll not need as many wires.  Have to say it looks lovely, cannot wait to see it painted.

Offline acma

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2012, 13:14 »
Getting a bit sad now I know, but this arrived on Saturday.  My lovely ali under drive crank pulley.  What a lovely piece of machinery:-

Can you spot my problem though?  The water pump and crank pulley don't align up, I'm currently looking at the Mk3 powered steering pulley as it is also grooved.  But would appreciate any input at this stage?

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2012, 15:29 »
Lovely bit of smoothing going on in the bay there mate! It's gonna look great when its all done :)

Offline acma

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2012, 22:12 »
Well anybody following this thread will know by now I don't really post as often as I should, however I'm sure you can see from the pics below I've been quite busy getting the engine bay ready for paint.

Here is the engine mount after powder coating

I've removed the whole of the steering and suspension system to enable effective cleaning of the engine bay, while it was out I thought I'd get it all cleaned up.

Subframe and ARB after media blasting

Offline acma

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2012, 22:16 »

Brake carrier and ARB mount after cleaning and painting

« Last Edit: 03 June 2012, 22:21 by acma »

Offline acma

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2012, 22:20 »
Finally the bay as it looks now.  This is after around 200 hours or so grinding, filling, flatting, painting, filling some more, flatting lots more and over and over until you end up with something like this.

Being honest I'm not 100% with it yet, but it's 95% there, hope you enjoy the look of the hard work that has gone into this  :laugh:

For those that want to know, I'm putting everything NEW back in the old girl from steering rack, track rod ends, suspension, hoses, bottom wishbones, with a full polly bush kit, engine mounts the list goes on and on at the expense of my pocket but I think it'll be worth it  :wink:
« Last Edit: 03 June 2012, 22:22 by acma »

Offline acma

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2012, 22:23 »

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #28 on: 03 June 2012, 23:20 »
Looks great! Keep up the good work  :cool:

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!