Author Topic: Keyless entry  (Read 4048 times)

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
Keyless entry
« on: 12 June 2013, 10:26 »
After much pondering and reading reviews I decided to add keyless to my order (mainly because I've always wanted a starter button :smiley: Would just make it that bit special.

However, my dealer has told me that I can't change anything now because build week is confirmed.
Am I going to be really disappointed because I don't have it? Anyone have experience of a similar system on other cars? 

I know it won't make a difference to the driving, but sometimes little things like that make a big difference to the overall experience.

Offline OF1

• Not said much yet
Re: Keyless entry
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2013, 10:49 »
However, my dealer has told me that I can't change anything now because build week is confirmed.
Am I going to be really disappointed because I don't have it? Anyone have experience of a similar system on other cars?

Yes it's on my Dad's BMW that i'm using at the minute. You have the key in your pocket and can get in the car and start it up without touching it.

It's OK but a bit of a fad if you ask me, after a few tries it becomes the norm, rather than something particularly enjoyable.
Currently Driving: Mini Cooper SD | Chilli Red | Black Roof | Often mistaken for my girlfriend's car..

Cancelled Order: Golf GTD Manual 3 Door | Pure White | Leather | Dynaudio | Reversing Camera | Service Pack

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2013, 10:50 »
You can't beat turning a real key and feeling the engine come to life IMO.
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2013, 11:05 »
If you haven't got it already I'm sure you won't miss it. The demo I tested last week had it as an option and as I mentioned in my review, I noticed a lot of scratch marks around the area where the ignition slot would have been... A lot of people obviously forget its keyless and try inserting the key into an imaginary ignition slot nonetheless causing a lot of damage.

The other mistake I made was that once I got inside the car I automatically put the key in the centre console. On exiting the car I totally forgot about the key!!! It wasn't until the salesman asked for the keys back, did I remember leaving them in the car. Luckily the car didn't lock itself or else we would have been buggered (I don't think you can lock the keys in the car anyway as it has a fail safe programmed into the key)
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2013, 12:01 »
Thanks guys, that's put my mind at rest. It sounds like it's a 'nice to have' and since I've never had a car with it I won't miss it.

mjh_056

« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2013, 12:07 »
If you have a lot of keys the best place for them is in the ignition and not your pocket given how uncomfortable that would be! - I do not have too many myself but admit to this being an option I did not consider at all as adds so little.

Offline Chriscav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2013, 13:48 »
I asked to add it but am also to far gone.
so not to worry.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2013, 15:56 »
Was a must-have for me, having driven cars with keyless entry and ignition before.  So much easier to just keep the key in your pocket, and while it may not be performance enhancing, it certainly moves things up a notch in the gadget-stakes!  Scratches on a demo car ignition cover are one thing, but hardly going to be an issue in your own car.

Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

physio

« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2013, 16:03 »
After much pondering and reading reviews I decided to add keyless to my order (mainly because I've always wanted a starter button :smiley: Would just make it that bit special.

I know it won't make a difference to the driving, but sometimes little things like that make a big difference to the overall experience.

I had a similar problem a couple of years when I wanted to change  the spec on my last car dealer said too late so I contacted VW  and they did it for me   no problem ,  so it may be worth  you trying them

Running Man

« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2013, 18:17 »
I had keyless on my focus RS and on another car.  Really loved it, worth the outlay IMO.