Author Topic: What do VW gain from Underestimating Performance?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline AAddict

• I live here
Re: What do VW gain from Underestimating Performance?
« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2013, 20:05 »
The July edition of Car and Driver stateside tested the GTI (Manual NON-PP) and got 5.6s to 60MPH and a 14.2 Quarter Mile  :laugh:
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2013, 20:08 »
The July edition of Car and Driver stateside tested the GTI (Manual NON-PP) and got 5.6s to 60MPH and a 14.2 Quarter Mile  :laugh:

Yep and if you'd read the post before yours, you'd have seen I'd just posted a link to a scan of that article  :wink:
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2013, 20:10 »
Not everywere has the same altitude or petrol quality :wink:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Hobojim

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2013, 20:54 »
VAG rate their engines to the DIN standard which churns out a number in PS. This is then converted to HP. If an engine is tested to the ISO standard the number churned out is in HP. The standards are slightly different and DIN tests for the same engine will always come out slightly lower than ISO test. The tests have a standardised air pressure (altitude) and temperature ( somewhere around 20 deg Celsius I think ). So when you stick your car on the rolling road in -10 it will churn out significantly more HP as the charge of air to the cylinder is a lot more dense. The RR should compensate for temp and pressure in its programme. but a straight drag against the clock does not. Engines are all about chemistry!
« Last Edit: 07 June 2013, 20:59 by Hobojim »

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2013, 20:59 »
 :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Thanks guys, that explains a lot.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2013, 21:27 »
Has it been proven without a doubt that performance is greater than stated?

Yes, Car and Driver (a reliable American magazine) have tested a non PP version against a Ford Focus ST. Under 6 seconds (5.6). See here and zoom in if you have a mac...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6055198-Anyone-see-the-GTI-vs-Focus-ST-shootout-in-Car-amp-Driver&p=82071829&viewfull=1#post82071829

Non-PP GTI beats the ST in 19/22 categories. 

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2013, 21:41 »

Non-PP GTI beats the ST in 19/22 categories.

Actually 226 out of 240 points is amazing... sure beats the Focus into a cocked hat (202). I certainly respect what C&D say; they're the 'Merkin 9 (sic) equivalent of Car magazine. Fun to drive 23/25 (the Focus gets 24). I know which one I would rather have and I take back my post from another thread. I want my car NOW! (And to think what originally started all of this off was a test drive in a Suzuki Swift Sport (that was fun too!)
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2013, 22:20 »
I'm wildly guessing here but could the conservative power figure be linked to insurance ie vehicles over say a certain power bracket are subject to higher insurance costs and thus keeping the power in a lower power band means that owners would pay MUCH less and would be more attractive to buyers???

Just a wild theory....
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2013, 23:03 »
I'm wildly guessing here but could the conservative power figure be linked to insurance ie vehicles over say a certain power bracket are subject to higher insurance costs and thus keeping the power in a lower power band means that owners would pay MUCH less and would be more attractive to buyers???

Just a wild theory....

You may be right, but I've not heard this mentioned before.  Obviously they use the rates accidents occur in each vehicle, but they also use the cost it will be to repair so recently a lot of manufacturers have got cars into a lower group by moving the headlights back so they are less likely to go in a shunt, etc... hence the ADC is the big thing in getting into a lower group this time.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2013, 23:05 »
Maybe VW quote their worst case figures. I have seen very noticeable variety in my TDIs between a good run in and a bad one. Perhaps they quote power gained on a "straight out of the box" model, prior to any running in gains. Outright BHP/PS is not the reason for most to buy a GTI/GTD, so perhaps VW want you to be pleasantly surprised rather than moaning about underachievement.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.