Author Topic: What do VW gain from Underestimating Performance?  (Read 6374 times)

Offline AAddict

• I live here
As title really, what do VW gain from underestimating the performance of the GTI? It's pretty obvious from roadtests and youtube videos that the 0-62 is around 5.9s yet the official figures state 6.5s. Also it's looking increasingly likely that the power figures will be underestimated by as much 20-30 hp. Is it just a case of under promising and over delivering or is there some other reason?
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: What do VW gain from Underestimating Performance?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2013, 18:00 »
Has it been proven without a doubt that performance is greater than stated? I would like to see one on a rolling road before to convince me. If it is indeed the case it would seem strange not to disclose. If VW had publicised it at 250bhp surely it would have lured more car enthusiasts to come accross from other hot hatch marques?

Perhaps it's to not detract potential customers away from paying a premium for the R?

In saying that if it is the case then I for one will be very happy  :smiley: . To me the perf pack edition should have been offered at 250bhp anyway.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2013, 18:03 by CraigW »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2013, 18:09 »
I think it's just common practice with vw now to underestimate bhp figures. seems like they've been doing it for years in both petrol and the diesels.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2013, 18:27 »
It also depends on the engine. No one engine will produce the same bhp, they'll all be slightly different. But they certainly understate the performance. I went from a mk 5 GTI (0-60 7.2 secs) straight into a mk 6 GTI (0-60 6.9 secs) and I can tell you there was a massive difference in performance, certainly much more than 0.3 secs.

As for the reason, it's been touched upon above - keeping it fast but not that fast avoids clashing with the R. It also keeps the GTI away from the raw performance of, say, the Megane Sport so that they can't be directly compared as they offer different things. The GTI has always been marketed as the all round hot hatch, doing everything well, giving it a headline 0-60 figure detracts from this.

I'm certainly hoping it goes sub 6 secs, every little helps! I knew it would, I've now got my figures crossed when mine turns up it'll be tuned to the max  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2013, 18:47 »
My GTD (170bhp) produced 180bhp on a rolling road. I don't think it's uncommon for it to be a bit higher than claimed figures, for whatever reason.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2013, 19:00 »
Does everyone slightly underestimate? In which case the real question would be does VW underestimate more than most (and if so what do they have to gain)?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2013, 19:07 »
Does everyone slightly underestimate? In which case the real question would be does VW underestimate more than most (and if so what do they have to gain)?
think its to stop them saying its got the same power than the its audi cousin that costs more  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 07 June 2013, 19:09 by barrym381 »

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2013, 19:45 »
VW have always been this way.

They don't need to brag about every last bhp unlike some other manufacturers.
Applies to all German Marques I think.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2013, 19:58 »
It could be for a number of reasons... it's surely better to under sell a product slightly than over state it and then every forum writing about it not making claimed performance.

Also Dyno readings are variable from one day to the next so they should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The same goes for 0-60 times. It's easy to beat the book figure with a dsg, probably a manual as well with some slick shifting.

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2013, 20:00 »
Has it been proven without a doubt that performance is greater than stated?

Yes, Car and Driver (a reliable American magazine) have tested a non PP version against a Ford Focus ST. Under 6 seconds (5.6). See here and zoom in if you have a mac...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6055198-Anyone-see-the-GTI-vs-Focus-ST-shootout-in-Car-amp-Driver&p=82071829&viewfull=1#post82071829

Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)