Author Topic: A Few Questions  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Marcus007

• Not said much yet
A Few Questions
« on: 06 June 2013, 10:55 »
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and would really like some input from your good selves.

I am debating whether to purchase a 3 door M135i or a Performance pack GTI. The spec BMW I would go for would cost approx. 35k before any discounts and the GTI 31k before any discounts.

Q1  Why should I go for the GTI instead of the BMW. IMO the BMW has a lot going for it ie it is considerably faster but the GTI is far more classy and not as ugly.

Q2  Should I go for manual or DSG

Q3  3 year residual values are important to me as I would be buying out right, anyone have any gut feelings on residual performance for the 2 vehicles.

Q4  What is the general consensus on the 19 inch wheels, yay or nay.

Q5  What discount do you think I should be aiming for.

I appreciate you are all GTI diehards but some constructive help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I decide.

Thanks in advance

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: A Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2013, 11:14 »
Welcome!  My 2 cents:

Q1  Why should I go for the GTI instead of the BMW. IMO the BMW has a lot going for it ie it is considerably faster but the GTI is far more classy and not as ugly.
To keep this short, the BMW is pure performance.  The GTI is an all-rounder.  Yes the BMW has the GTI beat in a 0-60... but you got to live with it everyday and how often do you race from 0-60?

Only you can decide.  I like the ease of the DSG, the performance, the different ways you can use it, and the thought that I'm sitting on a very clever piece of engineering.  Others prefer the raw control of the manual.

Q3  3 year residual values are important to me as I would be buying out right, anyone have any gut feelings on residual performance for the 2 vehicles.
GTI is always good on residuals.  BWM are treating the M135i as a step development on the way to their forthcoming M2.  Dunno if this is good or bad really.

They're pricey.  That's about all we can agree on.  Some think they look better than the standards, others disagree.  Tyre costs will go up a bit with them though.

~10% is the max anyone has got without being an employee of VW.  Not sure if you can still get it now but some have recently got ~9%.  I think you may need to use CarBuzz or Drivethedeal for this now.  At least to get an offer you can ask your local dealer to match.

I like the BMW and its performance.  For me the Golf is better though.  It is practical.  It has an unequalled pedigree.  Its a brand new platform (chassis, improved engine and improved DSG).  Build quality (should be) above class average.  And it won't break the bank (but sounds like that may not be an issue for you).  Oh, and everyone who has driven it (me included) loves the performance.  Its also more suited to everyday road driving I think, but that is probably a matter of opinion...

Anything else we can help you with?  A few of us have driven the demos so should be able to chip in on any other questions you have.

EDIT:
Have you considered an R?  I think that is the direct competitor to the M135i (i.e. on price).  More power and 4wd.
« Last Edit: 06 June 2013, 11:21 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2013, 11:43 »
Drivethedeal offer over 11% or at least that's what I got from them. Local dealer delivering the car too.
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2013, 11:51 »
Perhaps some of the more experienced guys on here who might have/do own a BMW can comment on if and why they prefer the Golf?  I've driven BMWs, but never owned one so my opinion isn't worth much!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2013, 12:20 »
Perhaps some of the more experienced guys on here who might have/do own a BMW can comment on if and why they prefer the Golf?  I've driven BMWs, but never owned one so my opinion isn't worth much!

Those run-flat tyres really spoil the ride. For the OP, take a look at guaranteed future values for GTI under finance and the 135 under finance. Although not exact, GFV are a good indicator of residuals as it's the least you'll get for your car in 3 years time. If the GFV is poor on the BMW then chances are it won't hold it's value as well. GFV on a GTI is approx 55% of list price.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Lagerlout

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2013, 13:44 »
I would go for the GTI because it has character. The 1 series is not a good looking car, and a three door GTI is. You want to look over your shoulder when you leave your car parked somewhere, not cringe when you see it!  :whistle: More seriously, the interior on the 1 series is awful even with the leather. I have owned a couple of BMW's and some serious ones at that, and they drive great, but if you're looking for a daily car I'd go for the Golf. Fuel economy which is a real consideration for everyone will also be markedly superior.

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2013, 14:19 »

Firstly "Welcome" Marcus... Hope we're gonna see a lot more posts from you on here, as opposed to on the babybmw.net forum.  Secondly this topic has been discussed extensively on another thread and may give you the answers that you are looking for.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=253305.0

Without going into too much detail, I was in a similar predicament to you.  I currently own both a Mk6 Golf GTi and a BMW E60 M5 and have also been fortunate to test drive both the BMW M135i and new MK7 Golf GTi (minus the Performance Pack). So to answer some of your questions:

Q1  Why should I go for the GTI instead of the BMW?
Pretty much depends on what you want out of the car?  If Im honest the M135i is in a "different league" when it comes to outright performance & driver involvement, compared to the GTi.  Having said that the 135i does lack 'soul' when compared to the proper 'M' Cars, so you may feel a little disappointed if you're hoping for the real deal.  The GTi on the other hand isn't a "slow burner" by any accounts, but it doesn't quite set your pulse racing like the M-lite.... its very "effective" at what it does, but just lacks the excitement.

So why did I choose the Golf over the BMW? Yes... the Beemer is on the ugly side (but its definitely a 'grower'), but the main reason was that I couldn't negotiate the deal I wanted.  Although I had been a BMW customer at this particular dealership for over 10 years, not only did they undervalue my part-ex considerably, but they weren't prepared to offer any sort of discount whatsoever.  So I said sod you! I'm off to VW instead.  VW on the other hand gave me a deal I would have been silly to turn down.... plus the fact that at the end of the day I needed a car that: 1) Offered more room in the rear 2) Wouldn't crucify me at the pumps & 3) Be relatively cheap to service & maintain e.g. replacement tyres (The Michelin Pilot Supersports on the M-lite will be more expensive to replace than the Dunlop Sport Maxx's on the Golf for example). Having owned a M5 I know first hand how crippling BMW servicing costs can be.  My Golf on the other hand hasn't cost me anything in comparison.

Really down to personal preference really.  If you can afford it then go for it.  My current GTI is a 'manual' box, but Ive spec'd it this time round as I've heard so many rave reviews about the DSG and I wanted to see for myself what all the fuss was about.

Monkeyhanger has pretty much answered that question.

Do you know what... I liked the look of them when they first released the concept images a few months back.  But now that they've changed them slightly (i.e blackened inserts) they no longer look like the original "snowflake' design & I'm not so keen.  Having said that Ive still gone for them as I fancy a change from my current !8" Monza's (which look too similar to the standard 18" Austins)

Managed to bring the total cost down from £31k to bang on £29k.... plus the fact that they offered me an additional £2.5k for my part-exchange more than what BMW was prepared to offer.

Hope thats answered most of your questions.  To be perfectly honest there isn't a right or wrong choice.  Both are great cars in their own right. Ultimately its just down to what you want out of the car? Do you want the 'fastest' hatch on the market right now or do you want the Best all rounder on the market.  Only you can decide? (But lets hope we'll be seeing you a lot more on here)
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Marcus007

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2013, 17:08 »
Thanks for all the very informative answers.

I am downsizing as I am sick and tired of wasting in excess of 1k a month on cars. I have had an M3, C63 and Cayman in the recent past and in an effort to go more sensible at the last change, last year I went for a C350CDI but it does not float my boat!!

I agree that the M135i is seriously ugly which really puts me off so it is either going to be a GTI or new R, I cant bring myself to look at an audi due to the associated image :shocked:

The last GTI I had was back in 1989 it was an 8v in basic spec, it even had steel wheels but looked fabulous in metallic blue. I kept it for nearly 3 years which is a long time for me, one of the best cars I have owned.

Does anyone know when the new R is out and what the outputs are likely to be?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2013, 17:32 »

You'll probably get your R about a week before the GTDs turn up. :shocked:

Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2013, 18:45 »
Thanks for all the very informative answers.

I am downsizing as I am sick and tired of wasting in excess of 1k a month on cars. I have had an M3, C63 and Cayman...

From the cars you have owned I would suggest you wait for the Golf R, if you can hang till next year that is. It's going to have at least 285bhp and over 280+ torque. It's strongly rumoured that it'll be unveiled in Frankfurt this September, with the first models appearing spring time next year.