Author Topic: GTI in 3 Door & DSG Combination  (Read 16114 times)

Offline Lagerlout

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTI in 3 Door & DSG Combination
« Reply #60 on: 04 June 2013, 20:56 »
The 991 911 PDK gearbox is a dual clutch the same as a DSG box. It's not exactly the same but it's extremely close. The CSL box is not DSG, it is SMG, it is a Semi-automated Manual Gearbox the same type of design as currently fitted to an Aventador for example and is still very relevant, if not more agricultural in it's shifts, it's shifts are far more positive and brutal and more fun than any dual clutch transmission. Hence my reference to "flappy paddles", I was referring to all semi automated gearboxes without a torque convertor (automatic).

The point I was making is that the DSG box is very dual mode in the 991, as I expect it to be in the Golf. However, in the 991 it is quite "convenient" having it in auto mode which tends to make you drive more sedately than you would in the manual.

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #61 on: 04 June 2013, 21:13 »
Fair point.I've not had the pleasure of a 911 but driven lesser cars with flappy paddles and they don't even come near to DSG.You do drive more sedate most of the time though.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline ginnes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #62 on: 04 June 2013, 21:50 »
Up until I bought my current mk 5 GTI DSG I had never had anything but a manual gearbox, but I am definitely a fan of DSG now. Can agree with the comments that it definately changes up early when it can, but in the normal hum drum of most town driving that's perfectly acceptable. Sport can sometimes be completely the opposite but if you are in the mood for some rapid progress and the road allows it is great fun.
For ultimate driving enjoyment you have to have it in manual (well I do). The problem is that it takes an awfull long time to feel at home driving it in manual, and you find yourself slipping it back into auto mode too often because it's so easy to drive it that way.

Certainly for the first year of ownership I ended up using auto far too often, and I agree you can find yourself driving more sedately. In the last year I have deliberately been driving in manual mode far more often, but it does take a long time to get comfortable driving it this way. If you only try it for 5-10 minutes once in a while you might never get comfortable enough to use it regularly. I now drive in manual about 50% of the time and find it just as much fun as driving a "normal" manual. In fact the speed it changes up through the gears in manual mode when you are pushing on still makes me smile like a big kid on occasion.

Each to his own, I don't believe one is necessarily better than the other,  but I do enjoy having the choice.
Current - Mk 7 GTI, Audi S2 Avant, Audi ur quattro
Finally arrived, only took 25 weeks! - Mk 7 GTI Tornado Red 5 Dr DSG.
PP, ACC, Keyless entry, Discover Pro, Park assist, Rear view camera, Winter pack, Climate windscreen, Advanced Phone prep.

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #63 on: 04 June 2013, 23:08 »
Demonstration of all combinations of the DSG on a mark 5 GTI. Couldnt stop laughing at 1.11 of the part 2 video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdVgjIIKA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WY_-RsJd2U

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #64 on: 05 June 2013, 12:59 »
This is interesting - this German VWVortex member seems to be saying that you can change a setting (perhaps via the Car button on the radio?) to alter DSG shift timing

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6046379-Mk6-vs.-Mk7&p=81935170&viewfull=1#post81935170

Adaptive Chassis Control is available as standard on all but the cheapest(TrendLine) Golf VII here in Germany.
Fahrwerksregelung DCC - for comfort, normal and sport suspension
Fahrprofilauswahl - shift timing for the DSG
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #65 on: 05 June 2013, 13:11 »
This is interesting - this German VWVortex member seems to be saying that you can change a setting (perhaps via the Car button on the radio?) to alter DSG shift timing

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6046379-Mk6-vs.-Mk7&p=81935170&viewfull=1#post81935170

Adaptive Chassis Control is available as standard on all but the cheapest(TrendLine) Golf VII here in Germany.
Fahrwerksregelung DCC - for comfort, normal and sport suspension
Fahrprofilauswahl - shift timing for the DSG

Doug, I was thinking the exact same thing last night. Because the new GTI has driver profile selection (DPS), where each setting alters throttle response and engine management. I think you could alter the throttle response in D mode to make it more eager or not as eager in S mode. I guess time will tell.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #66 on: 05 June 2013, 14:28 »
Guys, maybe I've misunderstood what you mean but from the Vortex link... isn't that just meaning in mode D or mode S the DSG changes when it shifts up or down?  Or do you mean when in D mode the driver profile adjusts how D mode responds too?

Kind of strange to have DSG work as D mode normal, or D mode sport, or S mode normal, or S mode sport, etc etc...