Author Topic: GTI in 3 Door & DSG Combination  (Read 16113 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTI in 3 Door & DSG Combination
« Reply #20 on: 02 June 2013, 16:44 »
If the MK7 was not as laden with standard kit as it is and I was going to stick with 3 doors then I would've hung on to the Scirocco. The new Scirocco may even tempt me back if they give it the same kind of standard kit as the GTD has and access to the 184PS TDI engine, if they don't cock up the new styling - and if wor lass can drive in 3 years time to be driving something with 5 doors (or maybe I would go for the new TT if it won't be so sparsely equipped). Right now the Scirocco TDI177 looks poor value next to the GTD (£26540 with "free" leather) - so that leather has cost you £1300 over a 3 door GTD, lacks Xenons, colour MFD and ADC, but gains ACC. I'm glad I bought my Scirocco when I did.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mortimerchris

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 03 June 2013, 10:47 »
Hello there,

I've been staying away from the forum as my build week is September and its pretty depressing.

However I have ordered a 3 door dsg.

Why three door? No kids, I don't care about passengers and in my opinion it looks better, I have a scirocco so quite similar in styling as already mentioned

Dsg? I travel 35 miles each way up the m4 to work. In traffic a dsg makes my life easier. When I'm not in traffic the dsg is a great fun gearbox. My current car is a manual and after having a old golf dsg courtesy car I promised myself if never get another manual.

Situation wise I'm buying my car outright and will have it for 4-5 years so future values don't matter too much.

As for performance, even the worst speced gti or gtd will be amazing!
Ordered a Golf GTI DSG Performance Pack in Pure White with Keyless Entry, Dynaudio, Rear View Camera and Panoramic Roof.

Currently driving a Scirocco 170 GT in Night Blue with Bluetooth, Rear Parking Sensors, DAB and Dynaudio.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #22 on: 03 June 2013, 11:14 »
Wise move staying away for a bit as it does make the wait harder!  My provisional build week is also in September.  Absolute joke really, especially as they now started advertising a car you cannot actually get your hands on (apart from demos).

Even if I didn't have kids I'd go for a 5 door.  The Golf styling carries off the look very well, and I do care for my passengers (they are friends and family after all).  I find 5 doors far more practical in car parks where they open wider, and it's convenient to just open the back doors to throw something on the back seat.

As for DSG, I found it convenient, but ultimately boring in this class of car.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2013, 11:27 »
3 doors are harder to open in my garage... or my work car park for that matter!

People now deliberately park their cars across two spaces where I work because the car park lines are so close together if you try to stick to them you can't open your doors at all.  Best to take two spaces and ensure no one bashes or scrapes your pride and joy while trying to squeeze out.  I've already ear marked the far corner of the car park where all the other smart cars park as my new spot in October (:angry:) when my new baby finally arrives.

Meanwhile there are half a dozen huge disabled spots taking up room for something like twenty cars that I've never seen anyone use ever. :huh: I really wish they'd just survey the workforce and paint the exact number they need but no, its better to waste vast amounts of space on the off chance that six disabled vehicles turn up at the same time when in the entire history of the car park there has never been even one.  Go figure.

Sorry.  Back to topic now!

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2013, 11:31 »
Oh you should see the line spacing at the train station near me...well, the older car park anyway, newer one is a bit better.  Totally not designed for todays wider and longer cars!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2013, 12:27 »
Meanwhile there are half a dozen huge disabled spots taking up room for something like twenty cars that I've never seen anyone use ever. :huh: I really wish they'd just survey the workforce and paint the exact number they need but no, its better to waste vast amounts of space on the off chance that six disabled vehicles turn up at the same time when in the entire history of the car park there has never been even one.  Go figure.

Probably EU rulings hard at work again. Yes we need to provide for the disabled, but lets keep it proportional. Supermarkets go the other way and make the disabled parking spots further from the shop than "parent and child" spots. I personally try to park well away from the crowd, but when you're in a new model of car you get everyone parking next to it for curiosity anyway - My first Scirocco had everyone going out of their way to park next to it (or so it seemed) early in 2009 when there weren't many about. I try to park next to a car considerably more expensive than mine that has no visible signs of child occupancy, in a corner space if possible so only 1 side is exposed to other parkers. I'm sure Sheldon Cooper gave similar trains of thought when parking once in the big bang theory :laugh:.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2013, 12:40 »
Probably EU rulings hard at work again. Yes we need to provide for the disabled, but lets keep it proportional. Supermarkets go the other way and make the disabled parking spots further from the shop than "parent and child" spots. I personally try to park well away from the crowd, but when you're in a new model of car you get everyone parking next to it for curiosity anyway - My first Scirocco had everyone going out of their way to park next to it (or so it seemed) early in 2009 when there weren't many about. I try to park next to a car considerably more expensive than mine that has no visible signs of child occupancy, in a corner space if possible so only 1 side is exposed to other parkers. I'm sure Sheldon Cooper gave similar trains of thought when parking once in the big bang theory :laugh:.

Think you're right on the regulation.

Also I'm the same on the parking.  I learnt it from my dad.  He has to find the "perfect" space in the car park and (much to the intense annoyance of my mum and sister, and my amusement) he will usually spot a "better" space after parking in one already and then have to move the car.  This usually happens two or three times before he is happy or my mum forces him to stop.  If its a multistory car park this typically involves searching for a pillar to park next to so he gets the extra space to the next car.  Even better if its end of row on the other side and close to the stairs... takes some time to find such a space though I can tell you.

Not often we're all in a the car together any more but its always a fun experience when it does happen!
« Last Edit: 03 June 2013, 12:42 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2013, 13:40 »
Wise move staying away for a bit as it does make the wait harder!  My provisional build week is also in September.  Absolute joke really, especially as they now started advertising a car you cannot actually get your hands on (apart from demos).

Even if I didn't have kids I'd go for a 5 door.  The Golf styling carries off the look very well, and I do care for my passengers (they are friends and family after all).  I find 5 doors far more practical in car parks where they open wider, and it's convenient to just open the back doors to throw something on the back seat.

As for DSG, I found it convenient, but ultimately boring in this class of car.

I ordered the three door for two reasons

1) It looks better than the five door. I don't think there can be any dispute over this. Yes, the GTI carries the 5 door well but the 3 door still looks better

2) Most importantly, to avoid having to give the mother in law a lift anywhere cause she's got a dodgy back  :grin: :grin:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 03 June 2013, 13:46 »

2) Most importantly, to avoid having to give the mother in law a lift anywhere cause she's got a dodgy back  :grin: :grin:

What if she wants to sit in the front with you?

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 03 June 2013, 13:49 »

What if she wants to sit in the front with you?

nuts, I hadn't thought about that!! Right, back on the phone to the dealer to see if I can spec an ejector seat

P.s. love the autocorrect on this site  :grin: